Science Fiction

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
adauria

adauria

Registration date : 2008-02-28

Science Fiction - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Science Fiction   Science Fiction - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 04, 2010 10:17 am

I'll second the recommendation for Philip K Dick. I've been reading some of his short stories lately. There's some amazing concepts in there. I mean, the guys stories inspired some solid movies: Total Recall, Blade Runner, A Scanner Darkly, Minority Report... Really good stuff that gets you thinking.

-Andrew
Back to top Go down
Doc Manhattan

Doc Manhattan

Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Science Fiction   Science Fiction - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 04, 2010 1:08 pm

Philip K. Dick is awesome, but you can definitely mark the point in his writing when he hit the critical mental breakdown.

It really is a shame--Dick had what he believed was a genuinely extradimensional spiritual encounter, and he was treated like a lone nut, while Ron Hubbard dropped acid and invented a cult of personality and parlayed it into millions of dollars. Hardly seems fair.
Back to top Go down
http://tobaccocellar.org/tinlist.php?cellar=808
adauria

adauria

Registration date : 2008-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Science Fiction   Science Fiction - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 05, 2010 11:19 am

I'm still working on his early writings, so I haven't gotten to the point of the crazies yet. Should be interesting!

-Andrew
Back to top Go down
locke07

locke07

Registration date : 2010-10-16

PostSubject: Re: Science Fiction   Science Fiction - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 17, 2010 10:20 pm

A lot of great books have been mentioned already but I'll reiterate some of the best and maybe add a few I like.

Fantasy: Wizard's First Rule Series by Terry Goodkind, Myst of Avalon by Bradley, and IMHO the best fantasy series of all time is A Song of Fire and Ice by Martin.

As for Scifi, I think the Ender Series by Orson Scott Card is fantastic. I also highly suggest reading any of the original star trek novels or starwars novels as well. It gives awesome back story and information if you're a fan of either movie/show. War of the Worlds is a classic along with Brave New World (which is IMO the best of the big brother style novels).
Back to top Go down
Irene Adler
That Woman
Irene Adler

Registration date : 2008-11-25

PostSubject: Re: Science Fiction   Science Fiction - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 20, 2010 1:03 pm

I highly recommend anything by Orson Scott Card.

I'm going to hear him speak on the 28th. =)

http://www.hamptonpubliclibrary.org/pdf/oscard.pdf
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/amyjomusic
Tock the Always

Tock the Always

Registration date : 2010-05-23

PostSubject: Re: Science Fiction   Science Fiction - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 20, 2010 5:56 pm

I just found a copy of Ender's Game at the used book store. Never read it. I'm told I should be ashamed.
Back to top Go down
Irene Adler
That Woman
Irene Adler

Registration date : 2008-11-25

PostSubject: Re: Science Fiction   Science Fiction - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 21, 2010 7:54 am

Tock the Always wrote:
I just found a copy of Ender's Game at the used book store. Never read it. I'm told I should be ashamed.

Please read it. It will rock your world. cheers
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/amyjomusic
Harlock999

Harlock999

Registration date : 2010-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Science Fiction   Science Fiction - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 9:20 pm

I'm very partial to Michael Moorcock. I'm not sure if anyone mentioned him... pirat
Back to top Go down
Jack Straw

Jack Straw

Registration date : 2009-08-27

PostSubject: Re: Science Fiction   Science Fiction - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 02, 2010 11:22 pm

Just picked up the new Robert Jordan/Brandon Sanderson addition to the Wheel of Time series which came out today - "Towers of Midnight." It's great so far. cheers
Back to top Go down
Tock the Always

Tock the Always

Registration date : 2010-05-23

PostSubject: Re: Science Fiction   Science Fiction - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 03, 2010 3:52 am

I've been meaning to get into the Wheel of Time series, but Tad Williams' Otherland took me forever to get through. And that was only four volumes...
Back to top Go down
bluedigital

bluedigital

Registration date : 2010-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Science Fiction   Science Fiction - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 03, 2010 4:16 am

Another Rob Jordan addict here, busy with book 4 at the moment and loving it study
Back to top Go down
http://www.deanswanepoel.com
Jack Straw

Jack Straw

Registration date : 2009-08-27

PostSubject: Re: Science Fiction   Science Fiction - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 03, 2010 9:20 am

^Nice! It's a long series, to be sure. I got hooked and read them all back to back in the course of a couple months. My girlfriend also got hooked and is eagerly awaiting me to finish the new one so she can get to it.
Back to top Go down
Raid

Raid

Registration date : 2010-08-20

PostSubject: Re: Science Fiction   Science Fiction - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 11, 2010 3:16 pm

A lot of great books have been mentioned this far; it is a tragedy that not all of them have ever been translated in my language (well most of them are, but not all).
Never been much after fantasy but i used to read a lot of sci-fi when younger, some fine stories from Philip.K.Dick, Asimov, Clarke, Le Guin etc. Lately i've read some Jeff Long and Margaret Atwood. A line between great scifi/mystery literature and other great literature has been very thin, if at all.
To me the big one has always been Ray Bradbury. He has written some great books and short stories that i will always be happy to read again.
Another of my favorite sci-fi/mystery writers is Johanna Sinisalo, but i have no idea if any of her books has ever translated into English.

edit: "Not Before Sundown" was awarded The James Tiptree Jr. award in 2004
Back to top Go down
Fazby

Fazby

Registration date : 2010-04-22

PostSubject: Re: Science Fiction   Science Fiction - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 26, 2010 1:05 pm

The Mote in God's Eye, Niven & Pournelle. Great first contact story.

And I always recommend this for following up on authors.
http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk

And... Flowers for Algernon, Keyes
Back to top Go down
Lazarus Long

Lazarus Long

Registration date : 2010-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Science Fiction   Science Fiction - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 23, 2010 10:13 pm

I came across Mote in God's Eye, a couple years ago and enjoyed it very much. I recently got hold of the the sequel The Gripping Hand and I put it down a couple of times... in fact I don't remember if I finished it.

I have read the whole Robert Jordan series, and I just got the most recent one, but I am taking it slow for some reason.

Regarding The Orson Scott Card line up, I find myself recommending all of his works to everyone, he is probably my favorite to read.

I have meet a person or two that say nice things about Heinlein. Smile

Back to top Go down
lowflyingpenguin

lowflyingpenguin

Location : The Wilds of Canada (from Iroquois for 'the village')
Registration date : 2009-04-10

PostSubject: Re: Science Fiction   Science Fiction - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 24, 2010 9:08 am

Amenhotep04 wrote:
I've begun reading science fiction recently. Been wanting to read at least 100 books. So far I've read 'Fahrenheit 451', 'Stranger in a Strange Land', '1984'. Just started 'Foundation'. On the shelf I have 'Slaughterhouse Five', 'Enders Game', 'Wrinkle in Time', 'Blindness', 'The Time Traveler's Wife', and a list of stuff from H.G. Wells.

What good science fiction do you recommend?

farao

my short list-

Larry Niven (Ringworld series), Philip K Dick (anything), William Gibson ( my favorite some purists may not see him as SF, the father of cyberpunk and inventor of the term cyberspace), Harry Harrison , Frank Herbert (Dune series)
Back to top Go down
whiskeywillow

whiskeywillow

Registration date : 2011-01-09

PostSubject: Re: Science Fiction   Science Fiction - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 10, 2011 9:01 am

I see my favorites have already been mentioned: I love Arthur C. Clarke, Isaac Asmiov and Philip K. Dick. Another of my favorites is Ray Bradbury, although my favorite book of his, From the Dust Returned, really borders more towards fantasy/horror.

Someone who I haven't seen mentioned here is John Scalzi, so I'll fix that. He has a whole series of militaristic science fiction beginning with a fantastic novel called Old Man's War. I highly recommend it. I haven't finished the series yet, I'm only about halfway through, but so far he hasn't disappointed me!
Back to top Go down
Harlock999

Harlock999

Registration date : 2010-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Science Fiction   Science Fiction - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 10, 2011 10:03 am

whiskeywillow wrote:
I see my favorites have already been mentioned: I love Arthur C. Clarke, Isaac Asmiov and Philip K. Dick. Another of my favorites is Ray Bradbury, although my favorite book of his, From the Dust Returned, really borders more towards fantasy/horror.

Someone who I haven't seen mentioned here is John Scalzi, so I'll fix that. He has a whole series of militaristic science fiction beginning with a fantastic novel called Old Man's War. I highly recommend it. I haven't finished the series yet, I'm only about halfway through, but so far he hasn't disappointed me!

Nice to see someone appreciate the old school sci fi!
Back to top Go down
thefoolish

thefoolish

Registration date : 2011-01-12

PostSubject: Re: Science Fiction   Science Fiction - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 13, 2011 3:11 am

Ah, scifi, how I love thee.

So, "Dune" is a must. There's a reason it is called the Science Fiction masterpiece.

Gene Wolfe is an amazing writer who is far too under-appreciated. Seriously. Find this guy's stuff and thank me later.

Back to top Go down
Obelus

PostSubject: Re: Science Fiction   Science Fiction - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 22, 2011 8:40 pm

I second the Gene Wolfe recommendation. I read his New Sun, Long Sun, Short Sun cycles every year. They're like nothing else. Plus he helped invent the technology that made Pringles possible.

For really tech and math savvy SF, the best thing I've read lately is Leonid Korogodski's Pink Noise: A Posthuman Tale. You can read Cory Doctorow's review here.
Back to top Go down
pasq0321

pasq0321

Registration date : 2010-11-08

PostSubject: Re: Science Fiction   Science Fiction - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 31, 2011 6:17 pm

I like a lot of the books mentioned here. I will comment on a few-

Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time- Great series that would have benefited from an editor that had some balls. Jordan is a good writer but in the later books, the pace slows considerably.

Stephen R. Donaldson's Thomas Covenant series- Great books, at least the first six. I like the last couple but quality wise, they aren't at the same level.

Frank Herbert's Dune- First book is aces. It is a great book. The next one is good, the third one is okay and then I stopped reading because things got really strange.

One series that I enjoyed that I haven't seen mentioned is Piers Anthony's Apprentice Adept Series. The first three are really good sci/fi fantasy.
Back to top Go down
Obelus

PostSubject: Re: Science Fiction   Science Fiction - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 31, 2011 6:28 pm

Last edited by Obelus on Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:52 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Bahnzo

Bahnzo

Registration date : 2011-01-27

PostSubject: Re: Science Fiction   Science Fiction - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 31, 2011 7:56 pm

I've read just about everything recommended here. My hand-down favorite author is Larry Niven however. I've read just about everything by this master and am catching up on his recent work which is a sort of Ringworld prequel. Good stuff. I know he's considered "hard" sci-fi, but I don't think that applies as much as it does to some of the newer authors I've read recently.

Asimov I don't like for some reason, but Arthur C. Clarke very much so. Read his "Rama" series if you haven't.

A good page to give you ideas for books is the list of Hugo Award winners.

Finally: Give a book called "Doomsday Book" by Connie Willis a read. One of my favorite books (although I haven't liked anything else she wrote). It's kind of an historical science fiction and very well done at that.
Back to top Go down
Obelus

PostSubject: Re: Science Fiction   Science Fiction - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 31, 2011 8:50 pm

Last edited by Obelus on Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Bahnzo

Bahnzo

Registration date : 2011-01-27

PostSubject: Re: Science Fiction   Science Fiction - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 01, 2011 6:02 pm

Obelus wrote:
In full agreement about Doomsday-- thought it was a really good, escapist read. So I bought a few of her other works. Big mistake. It's rare that I don't finish a book that I've started... but hers I dropped out of boredom.

I finished "To Say Nothing of the Dog" but haven't bothered with anything else. Too bad, and hard to think that someone who has written such a good book as Doomsday had nothing else worthwhile. A one hit wonder I guess.

Anyone else care to recommend other "unknown" books? Reading this thread is good for someone who is new to the genre and hasn't read much sci-fi, but pretty much everything mentioned here is a well known classic to those of us that have delved deep into it.
Back to top Go down

Science Fiction
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Related Pursuits :: The Book Shelf-
Jump to: