“Desert Island” tobacco game

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteelyJ

Reaction score
Let’s play.
You’re going to be placed in seclusion for a while in a cabin. Mountains, forests, lakeside. Of you’re like me, then you sometimes choose your smoke based on the weather/temperature so: Mornings are comfortable, afternoons are sunny and warm, evenings are cool and crisp.

You get to choose three tobaccos and three of your pipes. You’re allowed to smoke once in the AM, once in the afternoon, once at night, each one using a different blend.

What tobacco do you bring for your morning smoke. What tobacco do you bring for your afternoon smoke. And what tobacco do you bring for your evening smoke? And which pipe do you bring for each?

Last edited:
For mornings I would bring my Neerup volcano and I’d bring a burley blend to go with my coffee. I’d probably choose Solani Aged Burley Flake because I love that stuff. For the sunny afternoon I’d have to bring a VaPer, and I think I’d choose HU Director’s Cut, as it’s a favorite and I love what that little touch of burley brings. I’d bring the pipe my dad made for me. Evenings are tough, I kind of lean towards the appropriately named Nightcap - it’s just so good on a crisp, chilly night. I’d bring one of my Boswell pipes.

Because I am old, boring, and like regularity and predictability, I'd bring three heavily smoked Mark Twain cobs and an English blend with beaucoup latakia that I know I'll enjoy.

Hmmmmm…

Morning: MM - Charles Towne Cobbler with John Patton Storm Front
MidDay: RD Pipes - Chubby Author with Gawith Stonehaven
Evening: Radice - Slightly Bent, Twin Bore, Oil Cured, Silk Cut, Blasted Billiard with Faux Bamboo stem with either Gawith #7 Broken Flake or Dark Flake Unscented.

That's a conundrum. Probably this.

Morning, Urban Cowboy in my huge Don Carlos two note bent dublin with cowboy coffee.
Noon, Hobbits Weed in the Butz magnum bent brandy. Good with iced coffee, tea, or a beer.
Evening, Arango Balkan Supreme in my Pete Rosslare bent egg. With port wine or bourbon.

That's a conundrum. Probably this.

Morning, Urban Cowboy in my huge Don Carlos two note bent dublin with cowboy coffee.
Noon, Hobbits Weed in the Butz magnum bent brandy. Good with iced coffee, tea, or a beer.
Evening, Arango Balkan Supreme in my Pete Rosslare bent egg. With port wine or bourbon.
Hah! I thought you’d want Bob’s Chocolate Flake with that Port. It’d be interesting anyway…given the classic pairing of red wines and chocolate.

I’d go for Graham’s S Grapes Reserve Port. It goes for between $10 - $20 and totally dependable. Here’s a little secret: in years when Graham’s declares a vintage, the best of the best grapes go into the vintage bottling and the remaining, equally remarkable grapes, are blended into Six Grapes. The vintage-dated bottle runs into triple digits, while Six Grapes remains a sturdy under-$30! So look for a year when they do a vintage and then but the regular stuff. Greatness for less. This is known for strong aromas of plum, bolstered by notes of blackberry, currant, cassis and dark chocolate, with raisin and fig on the palate.

For a tawny I’d go for Cockburn's 20 Year Old Tawny Port. About $30 on sale and worth every penny. Here’s a pro’s review: “Known for their high standards in quality control and for owning some of the largest vineyards in Portugal, gives them an edge that can’t be beat. You can top an ice cream sundae with the aromatics in this bottle: caramel, walnuts, butterscotch, honey. Raisin and candied apricot coat the palate. This port is smooth with a light touch, but a bold flavor and a lingering nutty finish. This is the tawny to rule all tawnies.”

Very snooty vintage Port can easily go for prices into the hundreds…but it’s not necessary.

I'd bring a Charatan for the afternoon, a Stanwell for the morning, and an Italian for the evening. Since we're being dreamers, I'm going to dream. McClelland #2015 (fresh out of the press and never aged) for the afternoon, Balkan Sobranie 759 circa 1990 but not aged (you know, like it was 1990 and you were popping a tin right out of a shop) for the evening, and maybe 5+ years aged Luxury Navy Flake for the morning.

I'd bring a Charatan for the afternoon, a Stanwell for the morning, and an Italian for the evening. Since we're being dreamers, I'm going to dream. McClelland #2015 (fresh out of the press and never aged) for the afternoon, Balkan Sobranie 759 circa 1990 but not aged (you know, like it was 1990 and you were popping a tin right out of a shop) for the evening, and maybe 5+ years aged Luxury Navy Flake for the morning.
Well, if we're going to dream I'ld go for some BSOSM from the 70's, lol.

PS, I have some LNF with a little over 3 years on it. In a couple years if there is any left I'll gift it to you, lol.

OK, I'll bite!!!
Morning...Charles Towne Cobbler and Original pre-1974 Larus Bros. Edgeworth Sliced.
A'noon...Old Comoy Extraordinaire Pot and Orlik Golden Sliced.
Evening...My birthyear 1946 DH Shell billiard and my well-aged Murray's DH Nightcap. FTRPLT