10 and 11 year old McClelland Orientals

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

free_byrd15

Reaction score
Local has a No. 6 Oriental 100g tin from 97 and a No. 8 tin 100g from 98.....if I only had some extra cash.

Go buy em.... Tell the Mrs I said it was ok...

They are just asking MSRP aren't they?

I used to go by JR's a lot and ravage their baccy bins looking for older stuff... The girls that worked in there started giving me dirty looks when I'd walk in.

Get this though.. They would hide the date stamp with their sticker because they thought no one would buy the old 'out of date' stuff.... Last time I was in there I told em to look before they put stickers on it.. Anything 'out of date' I'd take of their hands.. :D

They thought I was nuts but I promised not to destroy their neat rows on the shelf anymore if they'd do it for me.. :D :D

I always look through the tins at my local just for fun. They carry almost all of the mainstream McClelland stuff, and most of it is from 03 to 05 but some stuff dates back into the late 90s. They have some ashton pipe tobacco from 97 too. If I had a bunch of cash, I'd go buy a lot of their stuff. Lots of great tobacco already aged! :)

The stuff from the 90's you could make enough dough of off to build a nice celler basically for free..

Ebay!

puros_bran":qus67tcl said:
The stuff from the 90's you could make enough dough of off to build a nice celler basically for free..

Ebay!
Seriously? hmmm...... what does late 90's stuff go for?

Depends on what it is....

Some of those Ashtons can go for serious money.

Look up Ashton on tobaccoreviews.com and compare their list with smokingpipes.com. Anything with decent marks on tr.com that isn't listed at sp.com is worth some money.

If nothing else stop in and make a list of what they have and offer it up here. :D

The list is all the long, but they carry all of the reserve, 221B, craftsburry collection, matured virginas, orientals, grand orientals, and royal cajun line.

FB-15...Buy any of that older stuff you can! I finished a '98 tin of Oriental #14 (one of my absolute favs!!) five months ago. Superb tobacco!! Next up... a'99!!

For PB...So you're the one the JR folks talk about when I'm searching thru their inventory and restacking tins looking at dates. They always say.."you're just like this other fella that comes in here and messes everything up!!" :lol!: :lol!: FTRPLT

ftrplt":vkwgjq1h said:
FB-15...Buy any of that older stuff you can! I finished a '98 tin of Oriental #14 (one of my absolute favs!!) five months ago. Superb tobacco!! Next up... a'99!!
Oh, I want to, believe that! I just can't buy it right now! hopefully i can free up some funds to!

puros_bran":0k9426c0 said:
Get this though.. They would hide the date stamp with their sticker because they thought no one would buy the old 'out of date' stuff....
Knox Cigar does that as well.

Alex scored me some Oriental #8 from 2000 and I cracked it! Very interesting and enjoyable but I think I'll be using it primarily for blending. Burns great with some of the tastier Oriental I've tried. Not enough VA for my tastes, though.

Thanks, Alex!

Steve

I would certainly hope that comment was designed for me to scream... 'WHAT... Blending #8???????????

One tin of McClelland's is no different than the next......they have all been cased with ketchup and malt vinegar.

Justpipes":stlem8ih said:
One tin of McClelland's is no different than the next......they have all been cased with ketchup and malt vinegar.
yummy! lol

While I have experienced the smell you speak of, I've never had it come through in the taste.

Justpipes, have you had Vinegar and ketchup come through in taste??

Your actually asking a guy that enjoys Walnut about taste? :affraid: :affraid: :affraid: :affraid: :affraid: :affraid: :affraid:

puros_bran":a6ms5w2m said:
Your actually asking a guy that enjoys Walnut about taste? :affraid: :affraid: :affraid: :affraid: :affraid: :affraid: :affraid:
Absolutely! What better taste could there be?!

Free_byrd, I have given the McClelland blends a fair shot and I just don't like most of them. The Grand Oriental blends aren't bad but most of them have that signature ketchup vinegar aroma that comes through in the smoke to me that I just can't get past. I guess it is something in their blending process that gives that aroma and taste.