12 Step Program for Pipe Addicts?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
All, I think I have a problem. That's the first step, right? Admitting that there's a problem? I've been a pipe smoker for all of four weeks now, and I have a pipe collection:

• Mr. Brog Churchwarden (quite possibly a mistake)
  • Missouri Meerschaum, Country Gentleman
  • Savinelli 616ks 2021 St. Nicholas
  • Brigham Voyageur 154 (on the way)
  • Peterson Killarny Red Bulldog (on the way)

At this rate, the inside of my mouth will resemble smoke-cured jerky inside a month or two.

In all seriousness, I think I'm done for a while. The cob pipe is easy to smoke, and I don't feel like I have to take any special precautions when out and about with it. The Savinelli is my go-to for aromatics, and the Brigham and Peterson are for the English blends currently en-route. I've set a pipe and tobacco budget, and should be able to stick to it. Just curious how many others have experienced a similar initial frenzy.

Options are often the root of evil. When I started a pipe, I was eating $.25 cans of ravioli from Aldi, before Aldi was known outside of the poor and college kids. That was my treat meal. I was usually spending less per meal. Meaning, I had to save up for months for each new pipe. Allowed for ample time to get acquainted with each one. The moment those financial restraints were lifted, it was a problem. Such a problem that I lost sight of why I was into pipes: smoking pipes, not collecting pipes. I couldn't find a balance, so I eventually quit and sold all but a couple and put those in a box, not to be looked at again for years. It's too bad it isn't like music and file sharing. I went through a similar cycle with collecting music. When the object was removed, it again became about the music and not the records.

Don't sleep on that Mr. Brog. I know a couple of guys who own a lot of expensive pipes who like their Brogs.

Options are often the root of evil. When I started a pipe, I was eating $.25 cans of ravioli from Aldi, before Aldi was known outside of the poor and college kids. That was my treat meal. I was usually spending less per meal. Meaning, I had to save up for months for each new pipe. Allowed for ample time to get acquainted with each one. The moment those financial restraints were lifted, it was a problem. Such a problem that I lost sight of why I was into pipes: smoking pipes, not collecting pipes. I couldn't find a balance, so I eventually quit and sold all but a couple and put those in a box, not to be looked at again for years. It's too bad it isn't like music and file sharing. I went through a similar cycle with collecting music. When the object was removed, it again became about the music and not the records.
Indeed. I think the initial spree is over, and I do want to take the time to get familiar with each pipe. My thoughts behind those purchases (apart from, "Ooooh, shiny"), were:

Aromatics:
  • Corn cob because it smokes well and I don't mind it getting a little beaten up when I'm out and about.
  • Savinelli because . . . well, Savinelli. And I wanted a nicer pipe for smoking aromatics around the house.

English Blends:
  • Brigham because it's slim, light and not too expensive, so I don't mind traveling or hiking with it.
  • Peterson because I want a higher quality pipe to enjoy with my English blends around the house.

I've got one Peterson Killarney Red and it is s very nice looking pipe. I don't have the bulldog but that is one of my favorite shapes, I'm sure you'll love it when it gets there.

Since I started smoking a pipe in the early 70's in college I really can't remember. However, pipes were cheap enough at the time that I didn't have any real problem acquiring a few decent pjpes. Savs, Comoy's Everyman, couple of GBD's. And there was a pipe shop in Campustown run by a nice older fellow who was willing to help a newbie.

That’s a feature and not a bug.
As you grow more experienced in the hobby you will slow your PAD. You might even slow your TAD.