15% off Cornell and Diehl Bulk

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdamCordray

Reaction score
So what C&D bulk blends are people stocking up during this sale? I have limited experience with Cornell & Diehl - I've smoked Bayou Morning (always seems to have a bitterness mid-bowl that puts me off...), Old Joe Krantz, Haunted Bookshop, Engine 99. Also am almost out of Epiphany. I really like Epiphany, and will probably order 8oz or so of that this month. I was thinking about giving Oriental Silk a try, and maybe Yorktown. How are the blending component blends, ie. the dark/cube/white burley blends, the perique, in particular was thinking about buying some Izmir turkish. From what I've read, the C&D blends have changed over the years so I don't know what people think about them currently.

- Adam

If I recall correctly. they have a blending kit with most of their basic components, but I doubt it is part of the sale. I'm thinking about trying Oriental Silk, as I have heard good things about it from those who seem to share my tastes. An associate is sampling me out a bit of Crooner(?). Burley and deer tongue. Sounds interesting. I've used deer tongue in a couple of experiments of mine, but I'm curious about their blend.......

I usually pick up some Oriental Silk, Epiphany and periodically Old Joe Krantz. I have to be honest though, until I see an extended period of time where C&D goes w/o mold related complaints, I'll be stocking up on Peretti, McClelland and Gawith favorites instead.

If you like Oriental Silk, I'll dig up the recipe I used to match it and PM it to you. It's super easy....

Something like Carolina Flake, some sweet/bright Virginia ribbon and Izmir, all equal amounts, and just enough Perique to take the bite out and slow the burn down a tad...

A simply elegant blend.

I stocked up on Billy Budd even though I make my own 2 very different blends with cigar leaf. Also Bayou Night, smoke it straight and use it in 2 of my blends. Some Old Joe Krantz, even though I have enough. No longer trust C&D with their topped tinned tobacco's, have had many tins with serious mold issues in the past 1.5 years. Was told they changed the anti-fungal mixture ( I think to save money ), why change if for years prior no serious mold issues. I had 6 tins of Bijou replaced. Why would I purchase C&D tin blends if I have to open them on delivery to check for mold??? Then have too also jar them....NO WAY! Both C&D and GLP I'm extremely cautious with purchasing right now.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

I'll be loading up on Old Joe Krantz, Billy Budd, and Poplar Camp. I have plenty of each on hand, but it never hurts to lay down some extra bulk of your favorites!

Regarding the mold: I know they had issues with some of the small batch stuff, but what's the full story? Is there something of a date range to worry about, etc? I haven't bought any C&D in a while - most of what I have is at least 2 years old, some much older. Anything I have in bulk is nice and clean, and I'd hate to think about cracking open all of the aged tins I have that were produced by C&D (including my beloved GLPs).

So is this seriously a "open everything, panic!" situation, or a "its limited, and fairly recent...buyer beware right now, but old stuff is good stuff," kind of thing.