1792 MIA?

• Thread starter Deleted member 2386
  • Start date
Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Deleted member 2386

What gives?! Just looked around online and 1792 is out of stock everywhere—I thought I was in the tiny minority of folks who love it but apparently not! Really hoping this is just a short term shortage and it hasn’t gone on the endangered species list. Anyone got any intel?

The panic buyers are snatching up whatever they can. Going over my order histories tells me we should be due for a shipment of SG and GH&co stuff any day. 'Tis that time of year again!

With the demise of Bracken Flake, I am not surprised. And this newer, politically correct, 1792 Flake seeks to not offend anyone.

The older versions lived up to it's nickname of, "Dead Mouse in a Tin". When you opened a new tin, immediately that scent of several day old dead mouse laying partially in the drip tray under a warm fridge, in a closed room. So thick you can taste it when you mistakenly stride several steps into that humid environment. Lovely stuff.

I just gave away the three 2003 tins I had to a friend. He has enough Lakeland in him to avoid embalming when he dies! :lol!:

Haha thanks, all, this thread brightened my day! Don’t know how old the stuff I tried was—an attempt to poison me from someone on here—but I loved it and need more in my life. And one of the prizes of my cellar is an old tin of Bracken Flake waiting for the day so bad I need a bowl of Sammy G’s worst to fumigate it.

What I find intriguing is why, all of a sudden, over the last year 1/2 to 2 years, marques such as McConnell, Rattray, Solani, SG and now G & H are constantly out of stock when others (Mac Baren, Peterson, etc.) experience no difficulties?
Because I don`t think there has been any satisfactory explanation offered for this phenomenon.

Davy Jones":wvdf72qm said:
What I find intriguing is why, all of a sudden, over the last year 1/2 to 2 years, marques such as McConnell, Rattray, Solani, SG and now G & H are constantly out of stock when others (Mac Baren, Peterson, etc.) experience no difficulties?
Because I don`t think there has been any satisfactory explanation offered for this phenomenon.
What Blackhorse said..

But also perhaps the regulations that are forcing the use of warning labels & uniformity in packaging, etc.

Some businesses like Mac Baren and STG have been planning for, or have already responded to these pending US regulations while others are still working on it. For instance, I recently bought a tin of Mac B. HH Burely Flake 100g, and it already had the mega-health-warning label on it taking up at least 1/2 the label, my most recent tin of Capstan as well. However, the tins of K&K produced McConnel Scottish Flake and Mature that I just picked up had no warning label on them, but they did come in the round 50g twist style tin to comply uniform packaging. :fpalm:  

That said, I believe that complying with the pending regulations and prepping for D-Day is causing a lot of stops and starts in getting product to market.  :scratch:

Plus people are freaking out and over buying when these tobaccos that seem to be rare or dissapearing are showing back in stock.

Or, maybe some of those brands don't run out because they don't sell as much as they forcast? Just sayin'. After checking my stash, I realized that I don't have any, not even one MacBaren tobacco in my cellar!

DrumsAndBeer":csib8vb2 said:
Davy Jones":csib8vb2 said:
What Blackhorse said..

But also perhaps the regulations that are forcing the use of warning labels & uniformity in packaging, etc.

Some businesses like Mac Baren and STG have been planning for, or have already responded to these pending US regulations while others are still working on it. For instance, I recently bought a tin of Mac B. HH Burely Flake 100g, and it already had the mega-health-warning label on it taking up at least 1/2 the label, my most recent tin of Capstan as well. However, the tins of K&K produced McConnel Scottish Flake and Mature that I just picked up had no warning label on them, but they did come in the round 50g twist style tin to comply uniform packaging. :fpalm:  

That said, I believe that complying with the pending regulations and prepping for D-Day is causing a lot of stops and starts in getting product to market.  :scratch:

Plus people are freaking out and over buying when these tobaccos that seem to be rare or dissapearing are showing back in stock.
But these regulations already exist in Europe; manufacturers abide by them and said regs do not seem to generate shortages in stock on the other side of the Pond.

My bet is the idiots panic buying or buying for resale on eBay or other channels. I have and enjoy the occasional bowl of 1792 but they have been out of stock all the places I shop for at least 6-8 months. I seriously doubt that more people are smoking 1792 but SG and GH both have the problem of working with very antiquated equipment which severely limits production. My guess is they keep the majority of what's made for domestic sales and the US gets what if any is left over. Once it hits the shelves the panic buyers pounce like hungry cats on a goldfish. Remember the McClelland debacle. Everything was selling out usually within hours of posting except for a few of their aromatics which tended to linger a bit longer.

Jim

huffelpuff":01acc35d said:
My bet is the idiots panic buying or buying for resale on eBay or other channels. I have and enjoy the occasional bowl of 1792 but they have been out of stock all the places I shop for at least 6-8 months. I seriously doubt that more people are smoking 1792 but SG and GH both have the problem of working with very antiquated equipment which severely limits production. My guess is they keep the majority of what's made for domestic sales and the US gets what if any is left over. Once it hits the shelves the panic buyers pounce like hungry cats on a goldfish. Remember the McClelland debacle. Everything was selling out usually within hours of posting except for a few of their aromatics which tended to linger a bit longer.

Jim
I understand a free market, but I really wish people would quit paying the ebay extortionists prices and let them eat (or smoke) their stock. There would be plenty of tobacco on the shelves most of the time if ebayers were not buying up the stock and selling it at HUGE profit. I bought some ABF and some Red Virginia this week from SP when it was in stock. I looked on ebay and sure enough someone was already selling both of them. Like I said, I know that is the ebay game, I just wish fellow pipe smokers would not make it so profitable for them.

Sorry *steps down from soapbox*, you may have your thread back now. :oops:

According to TobaccoCeller.com

Most cellared blends (by weight):
Samuel Gawith-Full Virginia Flake with 611 lbs 15.3 oz
Samuel Gawith-Black XX Rope with 579 lbs 3 oz
Samuel Gawith-1792 Flake with 488 lbs 6 oz
Esoterica Tobacciana-Penzance with 359 lbs 4.7 oz
Esoterica Tobacciana-Stonehaven with 301 lbs 5.9 oz
Davidoff-Flake Medallions with 280 lbs 4.7 oz
Peter Stokkebye-Luxury Bullseye Flake with 257 lbs 12.3 oz
Orlik-Golden Sliced (red) with 242 lbs 15.8 oz
Dunhill-My Mixture 965 with 234 lbs 3.2 oz