1937 GBD Rhodesian (9239/9242?)

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riff raff

Reaction score
This shape is a bit of a GBD mystery. In the past six years, I’ve seen three of these come up on Ebay (one was unsmoked!). All of them have the R9239 designation, with a London hallmarked band that dates to 1937 (B date code). I have two other hallmarked 1930’s era GBD’s and each has the R code in front of the four digit shape number. The 9239 is referenced no where else in any GBD catalogs or literature that I’ve encountered. I speculate that the R must have signified a silver hallmarked band, but unfortunately that detail is lost to time.

Winning this auction was a battle with 12 other bidders and I eked out a victory by a few dollars. I studied the sellers photos carefully before bidding and I had plenty of apprehension until it was delivered. As you can see below, the photos were either altered digitally or the flash made some odd patterns on the briar. The rest of the pipe looked solid enough to allow me to bid. On delivery, all of my fears disappeared. The briar and vulcanite were in terrific condition. The stem fitment was snug with zero bite marks on the oxidized stem. The odd shadow was just that, a flash mark or other.

Here's the sellers photo and one that I took.

gbd_r9239_ebay1.jpg

gbd_r9239_before-1.jpg

And the finished pipe below. Full details are the Reborn Pipes site
https://rebornpipes.com/2017/12/01/1937-gbd-chubby-rhodesian-r9239-restored/

gbd_r9239_finish_00.jpg

gbd_r9239_finish_02.jpg

gbd_r9239_finish_06.jpg

gbd_r9239_finish_08.jpg

That is a fantastic looking pipe. Great job of restoring it. Probably my favorite GBD design ever!

I love that shape, especially when it's a "chubby." (No droll witticisms, please.) I love the looks and the way they carry in a pocket or whatever. Strangely, I almost never smoke bent rhodesians. My hand instinctively reaches for a straight billiard nine times out of ten. But the fact remains that that is a highly desirable pipe. Nice score and resuscitation, in other words. Wonder why no one today makes that exact shape?

Al, that pipe makes me envious. Love the shape, and that it came in such good shape to begin with is amazing! What I wouldn't give to have one of those!

8)

Cheers,

RR

That's a beauty, Al, great job on the restore! My 9239 is currently with George getting some work done. Can't wait!

skaukatt":by7r6s6d said:
That's a beauty, Al, great job on the restore!  My 9239 is currently with George getting some work done.  Can't wait!
Wow, where did you find your 9239?

riff raff":n14ima2t said:
skaukatt":n14ima2t said:
That's a beauty, Al, great job on the restore!  My 9239 is currently with George getting some work done.  Can't wait!
Wow,  where did you find your 9239?
It was an ebay purchase I saw this past summer.  I think you may have posted photos of this pipe on that Interesting Ebay pipes thread, I can't locate that thread at the moment.  It was a bit beat up and yours is in way better condition.  I had to send it to George for an issue that developed - self induced, unfortunately.  Also, for some reason, the silver band is rotated 180 degrees in the wrong direction so that the stamping on the band presents itself upside down.

I am extremely confident that it will be coming back in spot on condition!

Here is the photo from the listing:

37929460825_761380f301_b.jpg
$_3 by lfcarbone, on Flickr" />

Sure, i remember that one. George will get you fixed up I'm sure. That is only one of the three that I've ever seen, all dated to 1937
skaukatt":yq18og74 said:
riff raff":yq18og74 said:
skaukatt":yq18og74 said:
Wow,  where did you find your 9239?
It was an ebay purchase I saw this past summer.  I think you may have posted photos of this pipe on that Interesting Ebay pipes thread, I can't locate that thread at the moment.  It was a bit beat up and yours is in way better condition.  I had to send it to George for an issue that developed - self induced, unfortunately.  Also, for some reason, the silver band is rotated 180 degrees in the wrong direction so that the stamping on the band presents itself upside down.

I am extremely confident that it will be coming back in spot on condition!

Here is the photo from the listing:

37929460825_761380f301_b.jpg
$_3 by lfcarbone, on Flickr" />

Beautiful restoration. I sure understand the trepidation on bidding based on that first photo. That is a most unusual flash blemish it really makes the wood there look questionable. Glad it turned out so well.

Jim

Outstanding restoration an a pipe that’s extremely rare. I’d bet it’s a superb smoker. I’ve followed you in the background on reborn Pipes for many years. Your craft is extremely painstaking and your a Master at your craft. Keep up the fabulous work :cheers:

Beautiful pipe, love that GBD shape, congrats on the find! IMHO the Briarworks shape does not hold a candle to the GBD.