1937 GBD

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riff raff

Reaction score
I've been in NJ all week, working 12-13 hour days opening a new Roy Rogers Restaurant in Brick (Tom's River area). I returned home this evening to a nice surprise. I acquired my first hallmarked GBD, a 1937 pipe. This one was listed several times and the seller accepted my offer. I checked with a forum friend on the hallmark, who confirmed the B was a 1937 mark (I'm used to seeing the letter on the right).

The sellers pictures were good, but a little dark. He accepted returns, so I figured I didn't have much to lose. I was delighted to find the pipe in outstanding condition. The briar is nearly without a mark (small chip on the bowl top). The rest of the beveled bowl top looks great, as does the interior (it passes a cleaner without effort). The stem has no teeth marks, but it has been buffed (the rondell). The GBD rondell is much smaller than any of the others in my collection. The GBD briar stamp is faded, but the other side is very good. Fortunately, the hallmarks are in very good shape. The stem fitment is excellent. The button is unlike my other GBD's as well, it's not orific (I do not like them for smoking) but somewhere in between. The stem had a little oxidation, which was easily removed. I didn't do anything to the bowl but lightly wax it with carnuba. I have to admit, I've never been so nervous buffing a pipe as I was with this one. It's a group 5 size pipe, weighing an even 50 grams.

The year that Amelia Earhart disappeared, the Hindenburg blew up, and somebody made a tobacco pipe. Great example of a classic in awesome condition.

That's a beauty! GBD's are among my favorites....especially the classics like that one - great pickup!

Richard Burley":x1ly5seb said:
The year that Amelia Earhart disappeared, the Hindenburg blew up, and somebody made a tobacco pipe. Great example of a classic in awesome condition.
Wow, you are correct. The Golden Gate bridge was completed and Falling Waters was built as well, amazing.

riff raff":twihvb0g said:
Richard Burley":twihvb0g said:
Wow, you are correct.  The Golden Gate bridge was completed and Falling Waters was built as well, amazing.
Just curious--are you going to smoke it? That looks like a borderline rack queen to me. There's something about it.

Richard Burley":96uk62lu said:
riff raff":96uk62lu said:
Richard Burley":96uk62lu said:
Wow, you are correct.  The Golden Gate bridge was completed and Falling Waters was built as well, amazing.
Just curious--are you going to smoke it? That looks like a borderline rack queen to me. There's something about it.
Good question - it definitely will be smoked. The stem and bowl are in excellent condition. It will be used sparingly, but smoked. In fact, the maiden voyage will be this afternoon.

DrT999":g26ik4nf said:
I hope it smokes as good as it looks!
I've smoked it three times, and it is outstanding. I was worried the draft was a little tight, but with a semi-loose pack, it's just right.