1950s era Sido German Lighter

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MartinH

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,
I have not posted in a while, taken a break from online, but my wife gave me an awesome Christmas present, and I need some help. As one of my presents she gave me a 1950s era Sido lighter that says US Zone on it. I think it is a German brand, the writing looks like it. I grew up in Germany, and would love to use this lighter with my pipes.

Here is a bad pic: Sido Lighter

Does anyone know a bit about these lighters? I'd like to get it to work again, but don't even know where to begin in terms of supplies, etc. It seems to be in fine working order but is missing flint and I'm not sure what flint to use and where to insert it.

Thanks,

Martin

Good to see you Martin! There should be 2 slotted screws on the bottom. The smaller one close to the middle should be the flint. I would assume a zippo flint should fit it. The larger screw off to the side should give you access to the fiber fill in the tank. Just squirt in zippo fluid and it should be good to go. Where you might run into trouble is if it was stored with a flint in it. They absorb moisture and expand as well as oxidize themselves into place and can be really tricky to remove. Hope this helps.

Jim

PS that is a beautiful lighter by the way!

Thanks. Yeah, I tried that and the flint I inserted wouldn't fit. I guess the old one is stuck. At least now I have a place to start. Thanks!!!

Tread carefully Martin! Not exactly sure on that model but many have a bend in the tubing for the flint. The only way you can deal with those is the right sized drill bit from the top. Do not try using power tools on this. Go slow and you can do it by hand a pin vise is preferable but not necessary. Also be very careful to note how the parts interconnect so you can get them all back together. Be sure to let us know how it goes.

Jim

Thanks. I looked it move closely today and it looks like the mechanism is broken. :(