1st small step into the world of English tabaccos...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dean73

Reaction score
Hey guys,

If you have read my other thread (I am now and have only started one other...) you will know that I have been an aromatic smoker. I guess that is beacuse I have not heard of anything else really until researching more about pipe tabaccos on the internet. For years I only knew Tinderbox tabaccos...not that that is bad, but I was never properly exposed to other types. (Maybe the people who were there were partial to aromatics...noone ever mentioned any other kind of tabaccos to me.)

Then I began the foray into the forums, discovered Boswells and tried less cased tabaccos. To my suprize I found I liked the less cased tabaccos more than the heaver aromatics. Don't get me wrong, I still like a little flavor, but I have moved beyond smoking "candy."

Well, today I smoked my 1st bowl of Boswell's Northwoods. it was very different than any pipe tabacco I have smoked thus far. I could still taste a bit of the older tabacco I have smoked in the pipe I used, but I will give it a few more smokes to make sure I get the full effect. Spicy, but very tasty. I am not saying that I have become an English tabacco man, but I do not mind the change of pace.

I look forward to seeing what the true taste is like after a few more bowls...

Most people that I know that become dedicated pipe smokers drift away from aromatics. I never did care for them, though my first experiences with pipe tobacco long ago were tobaccos such as Sir Walter Raleigh, PA, H&H, etc. I have tried the Tinderbox aromatics a couple of times and they just didn't do it for me.

I think that you will find over time the the more natural tobaccos will become more flavorful to you whether they be English, VA, Oriental or Burley. Keep in mind that most all Burley's have been through some process to add a sweetness to it. My understanding is that if truly smoked natural, Burley would not be tolerable. Most blenders and manufacturers spray it down with a sugar water mixture and then press it for aging for some specified period of time.

Get yourself a tin on Penzance. Quite a nice entry into the area of Latakia blends. And it's tasty, to boot!

Dean73,

I have smoked Northwoods, but not in a long time. If memory serves, I remember it being a fairly heavy latakia blend. Latakia is loved for it's ability to burn very cool, i.e. it does not burn hot. It is also spicy, earthy, kind of campfire like, and can be enjoyed in heavy clouds of yummy smoke. You don't have to "sip" a latakia blend, as you would a virginia. Nope, just big clouds of cool, dry smoke. If you want to explore a little more, you may want to try Frog Morton, a very popular lat weed smoke, though fairly mild in the big picture. Many a English lover started with the Frog. I might also recommend Dunhill's Early Morning Pipe ("EMP," as it is commonly referred to here and on other boards) as a starting point. Have fun, and may your journey down the latakia road be tasty, earthy, and most of all, smokey!

Thank you Gentelmen.

I believe I will be ordering some Frog Morton. I have made just two posts and in both posts I was recomended the Frog.

By the way, I do have to say that this group is one of the friendliest I have found.

Thank you again for the suggestions. I look forward to letting you know how I like the new tabacco recomendations.