2008 Christmas Care Package for the Troops

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikem

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
:santa: :santa: My fellow Brothers of Briar. It is that time of year again to start thinking about our troops serving in the military in harms way during the upcoming holiday. As in past years I will be making up Christmas Care Packages from items from the Spring Forward Box Pass (which one box has already been sent to our own BubbaL002) and items donated by this generous group of fellow pipe and cigar smokers. Any and all money collected will be used to purchase cigars and pipe blends for the troops. As in years past I will pick up any and all shipping costs. Last year this group sent out three large boxes for the troops. I do have access this year to send packages to some Marines stationed in Afghanistan. Last year I tried to get some addresses to Afghanistan to no avail. This year I have been successful. I will also contact the lady who dispersed our boxes last year to the troops. If she is not in Iraq I'm sure she can get me in contact with someone who is there.

Items that seem to be a hit with the troops:

Pipe Blends (preferably tins but have sent pre-packaged bulk, please no glass jars).
Pipes (new or used briar's, new cobs) I will clean and polish any estate briar's given before sending out)
Cigars, and more cigars (this year I will try and not only to buy boxes as last year but will take any and all singles donated).
Chewing tobacco in the tins (seems to be very popular)
Coffee (ground not beans).
Tea (for making sweet or sun tea).

With the pipes and blends I will make up packets like last year that consist of a pipe, pipe cleaners, matches and two or three blends. This seemed to work out pretty good last year.

I know that our troops really do appreciate what we have sent in past years based on the feedback I have received from some of the troops and even from a Lieutenant who emailed me back with thanks to the Brothers of Briar.

Any questions please PM me here or my private email address: mmillersprint03 at earthlink.net

I would ask that any and all donations be sent to me at my home. If you are sending something please let me know so that I can keep my eyes out for it. The address is:

Mike Miller
10750 W. Frier Dr.
Glendale, AZ 85307

Thank all of you once again in advance for all of your help in this years Christmas Care Package to Our Troops. :santa: :santa:

Thanks so much Mike for again taking the lead on this! I will be sending you an email.

Glad to see this is going. I will be participating this year the best I can. I'll PM you a couple of questions, and if you want you can post them and the answers so everyone can see them.

PipeBrew asked a very good question concerning blends.

1. Can you send bulk in baggies?
Yes, the Ziploc bags would be best. On bulk blends please mark what they are and put about (best guesstimate) two ounces.

1. Can you send partial tins?
Again yes, but please make sure there is at least four or five bowls worth for the troops to smoke.

I will take the partial tins and bulk and make up packets that will include two or three blends and hopefully a pipe, briar or cob, pipe cleaners, and matches.

Mikem, what do you figure approx. latest date for you to recieve packages @ your home?

Bd

Never Forget!

I am hoping that I have everything ready for shipment overseas no later than the end of November. I would like to ship the stuff out the last week of the month (November) around Thanksgiving. That way it gives it about thirty days to get to them.

I've been negligent on posting this due to the son home on leave and then the wife in the hospital for four days but....... So far I've only one donation from my fellow members of "BOB" of pipes and blends from Mike T. Thanks so much.

I know that during these hard financial times on all of us (believe me I know) that things are tight. I hope that we don't forget our troops serving and protecting our country overseas. I have had people at work donate cigars, snuff, etc. to the cause. I am hoping to send the package(s) out around Thanksgiving week. The first package will be going to a group of Marines with Task Force Med stationed in Afghanistan.

Thanks again for your support in this endeavor.

Regards

Mike M.

Mike,

I plan on getting a package out to you within the next couple of weeks. You are still planning on sending the package right before Thanksgiving, correct?

Mark

Started assembling a package to go, will ship out to you this coming week,,,,

I've been waiting for my #$%@ landlords to cash two months worth of rent cheques, so I don't wind up suddenly overdrawn. I'll corral my donation next week.

I hope to get some stuff en route to you within the next couple of weeks.

Mike, I have a few things kicking around on my shelf I will make every attempt to contribute to this great cause. I'll try to get it mailed out to you in the next week or two max.

~JD

Gentleman, we are gaining steam. I have received a couple more packages with some more pipe tobacco and a total of $126 to go towards cigars. I am going to order at least three boxes of cigars this week. Thanks again for your help.

Regards

Mike M.

I'll have a package on it's way Friday, if everything goes as planned.

Gentleman, I would like to share the kindness of one of our esteemed members here at BOB. I got to go visit my son in Virginia last week and did not get home until last Friday afternoon. Sitting in the living room is a rather large box with UPS labels with some great smells coming from it :scratch: . My wife is giving me the evil eye :no: and asking don't you have enough tobacco and what are you ordering stuff for when you promised me you wouldn't make any large pipe/tobacco purchases until the first of the year :lol!: .

I checked the label and it was from our own Docwatson. I knew from emails that he was shipping a package for the troops. But WOW, I wasn't expecting such a big box. Inside the box for the troops are sixty cigars, two glass humidors and at least forty + pouches of Wessex pipe blends. On behalf of our troops I would like to give him :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: .

I would also like to thank old_salt, tin-man, Doc Manhattan and EJinVA for the packages of pipe tins and pipes received so far. I know that there are several other packages in route. You guys are great. I will try and photograph everything received so far and post a picture on my weekend. I will sending out the first shipment this coming week on my days off. I also have received $76 from members here and another $90 from my fellow inspectors at work. This will go toward cigars and some cob pipes to add to all of the pipe blends, pouches and tins that I've received. The first box will be going to Afghanistan.

Thank you guys again.

A good portion of the pipe tobacco was given to me from friends that attended the CORPS banquet several weeks ago. The Tobacco was donated by Altadis and XYZ Direct LTD. When I told the folks that Mike Miller from Brothers of Briar was collecting and sending tobacco to the troops they were more than happy to donate their share. To the point where I couldn't stuff any more in my luggage for the flight home!!!! :D :D
All I can say is that I am more than proud to help our troops enjoy a taste of home. And the person that really deserves a handshake and heartfelt Thank You is Mike himself for giving of his time and effort for such a worthy and important cause.
Many thanks Mike for a job well done.
:cheers: :cheers: