2008 TAPS Pipe and Cigar Expo Report

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justpipes

Reaction score
The TAPS show was a great success this year and a good time was had by all!

The show was a little smaller than in recent years, I believe due to the current economic climate that we are experiencing but it was a quality show.

I had the distinct honor of meeting Ol'Dawg, FTRPLT, BronxBill, Lawdog, Alfredo Buscotti, Bill D as well as several of the folks that are active on Smokers Forums. Please forgive me if I left anyone out as it has been a long day!

I would like to personally thank Alfredo Buscotti and Ol'Dawg for helping me with my table and running crowd control of the mob surrounding the Walnut Sampling Station throughout the day! I would also like to give Ol'Dawg kudos for driving all the way from Georgia to attend the show!

Mike Brissett's pipes were very popular!

I was very good today as I only made one aqusition. A Rinaldo Lithos YY Tear Drop. I will post a photo of the pipe later.

Here are some photos of the show. A few of them were taken late in the day after some of the folks had packed up when the show was officially over. The lighting is not the greatest. It was that crazy that I didn't get to take some of the photos until late.

Walnut Sampling Station
WalSam.JPG

Another happy Walnut convert.
WalCust.JPG

Robert Lawing (Lawdog)
Lawdog.JPG

My table and Alfredo Buscotti.
MyTabShow.JPG

Pipe & Pint and Talbert Pipes.
TalbertPipes.JPG

Steve Monjure.
SteveMonj.JPG

Here are a few more photos of the show.

Keith Toney and Pam Hayes of C&D.
KeithPam.JPG

Monjure International tables.
MonjureInter.JPG

Bill D's Tampers.
BillD.JPG

Benny Baker's Pipes.
BennyBaker.JPG

Bob Hayes
BobHayes.JPG

C&D tables.
CandD.JPG

Jerry Perry.
JerryPerry.JPG

McCraine's tables and Lynn Lawing (Lawdogs wife)
McCLynnL.JPG

Misc. pipe tables.
Misc.JPG

There were many others but I couldn't get them all!

A great time was had by all!! My table was kitty-corner, across from justpipes's table. Unfortunately, I was unable to get a taste of that Walnut, because the line waiting to try it was to long! Oh well, maybe next time. I did some trading for a nice unsmoked Savinelli Virginia 802, and I won one of the raffles and received a new John Sterling bent billiard. I had a wonderful time seeing everybody! My sales were very good, and justpipes sold a Steve Brissett pipe about a minute after the doors opened!

Nice report and pictures... I'd be like a kid in a candy shop if I attended a pipe show. And then, on top, to meet the brothers and sisters.

Thanks for sharing.

:D Paul

Congratulations to the TAPS club for putting on a quality well organized show! Everyone there was very helpful and friendly in addition to having a wide variety of vendors, dealers, raffles and craftsmen. It was well worth my time and expenses to visit the show.

It was great meeting and having the opportunity to talk with Justpipes, FTRPLT, BronxBill, Lawdog, Alfredo, and Bill D. For me it's great to be able to put a face with a name.

I was glad to be able to assist with crowd control at the Walnut sampling station and of course have the opportunity to sample this fine tobacco. I was also happy to see Justpipes was able to get some pictures before breaking his camera trying to photograph me. :affraid:

A few other highlights of the show for me included seeing Bill D's high quality, well finished acrylic tampers; seeing Bennie Baker's hand carved cedar pipes; getting a sample of certified organic VA tobacco and talking with the gentleman behind the project (to be released by C&D in the future); and viewing a bunch of great looking pipes.

Though I didn't buy a pipe, after seeing Mike Brissett's pipe shaped umbrella stand, I'm going to contact him with hopes of getting one for the foyer of the new house my wife and I will soon build. I might add there was almost as much activity over the umbrella stand as there was the Walnut sampling station. Maybe Justpipes will post a photo of it.

Jim

Ol'Dawg":o9mw3ldf said:
I was also happy to see Justpipes was able to get some pictures before breaking his camera trying to photograph me. :affraid:

Though I didn't buy a pipe, after seeing Mike Brissett's pipe shaped umbrella stand, I'm going to contact him with hopes of getting one for the foyer of the new house my wife and I will soon build. I might add there was almost as much activity over the umbrella stand as there was the Walnut sampling station. Maybe Justpipes will post a photo of it.

Jim
Jim,

All joking aside, one of the first photos I took was of you sitting at my table because I wanted to post it. I search every file in my camera and on my hard drive and couldn't find it!

None the less it was just awesome to have the opportunity to meet you and I and grateful that you drove up to spend the day with us! I had an absolute blast!

Here is a photo of the Umbrella Stand. I usually take it to the shows to display because it is a great conversation piece.
bigbrissetta.JPG

Hi Jim. It was sure nice to meet you in person! I love putting a face to a forum name. I'm glad you got back safe to Georgia. Maybe we will see each other again next year!

CP,

Bryant wasn't at the show.

I talked to him approximately 4 months ago. He sounded like he and Ursa were doing well but he told me that he didn't really have much interest in the pipe world right now. He said they were doing a lot of canoeing. He said he still smokes a pipe occasionally but not with the interest and not nearly as frequently as he use to. We talked about getting together for dinner or something. I will call him before long and possibly go down to Selma and meet him.

Hey Bill,

Sorry I didn't see your last post til now. It was a real pleasure meeting you and seeing your fine craftsmanship. Thanks too, to your partner for interpreting what I was trying to say about the curly maple I have. I'll be in touch soon about a project with wood. Hope to see you next year if not sooner.

Jim

Well, like I said, it was great to meet you Jim. My wife volunteered to come to the show with me. I guess it worked out for the the better. Somebody has to keep me straight! We will keep in touch for sure.

Oh man... I am so sorry I had to miss it... Next year for sure.

-Andrew