2014 Chicago pipe show pipemaking seminar

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

briarbrian

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

The Chicago pipe show show will soon be upon us. It is great fun for all and if you can come early to the show, you may as well have something to do, like make your own pipe! The Pipemaking seminar times and dates are as follows: Wednesday, April 31st 2014 (Admin edit:  April only has 30 days, so April 30th and May 1st.) and Thursday May 1st 2014. This year we are NOT allowing established pipemakers to pay for the class. The reason for this is that in the past we have had to turn away people who were not pipemakers because the class was full. We have room for 12 people in the seminar, so sign up early to guarantee yourself a spot.

Show officer in charge Rex Poggenpohl, Instructors for the seminar are as follows: Brian Ruthenberg, Mike Butera, Lee VonErck, Rad Davis, Andy Peterson. Several other famous Pipemakers from around the world will be on hand Thursday afternoon for tips and guidance as requested.  Mike Butera will give demonstrations  and tips on using a mini lathe .

We do charge for the seminar. The price to attend this years seminar will be $75.00 and this year it WILL NOT be refunded. The checks will go the the Chicagp pipe club to try to take care of some of the costs for putting on the pipemaking seminar itself.

We do have prebored kits of different shapes that will be included in your price of the seminar, that were donated by Mimmo from RomeoBriar.com . The blocks that have been donated are all different shapes, so if you want a specific shape to make please feel free to bring your own prebored block with a stem fitted to the block. The pipemaking  kits that we have will not be saved for anyone wanting a specific shape and will be just handed out randomly to the students at the seminar. The students can then trade them amongst themselves if they wish to do so to get a specific shape. Id recommend you bringing a specific block if you want to only make X shape for yourself. If you want to bring a pipe kit that has the stem already fitted to it, you can get a pipe kit from Mark Tinsky at www.amsmoke.com  , other pipemakers, or other pipemaker supply companies, Pipe Makers Emporium at www.pipemakers.org Tim West at jhlowe.com  etc I do recommend that you purchase a pipemaking kit from one of the mentioned retailers that sell them. This way you will have what you need to make your pipe for sure.

Email me at [email protected] if you would like to participate and I will send you my mailing address of where to send your check. To save yourself a place at the seminar, you can mail me a check made out to CPCC for $75.00 usd. Again, the check you send WILL NOT be returned to you during the seminar, it will go to the Chicago pipe club.

Below are the particulars of the seminar:
The seminar starts at 9:00am until 5:00pm with an hour for lunch. There are only 12 spots open for the seminar, so early signup is highly recommended. A waiver for insurance purposes will have to be signed by each student for the  insurance company requirements for restricting attendance to paid students or authorized instructors.  The seminar will be structured this year with an outline that will be gone over before with the students. Also no visitors will be allowed into the seminar that arent on the list of instructors, visiting critics (on Thursday) or students list. It just got too crowded in previous years so we had to put a stop to visitors this year coming into the seminar. Also if you dont reserve a place in the seminar you will not be allowed to just "show up" as in past years, we have let this slide in the past but this year we cannot because of limited space and other variables.

If you do not show up for the seminar your check Will Not be refunded to you, your check will be handed over to the CPCC and they will cash it and use it for future show funds.

Please bring a pair of safety glasses, and clothes that can get dirty. You will get dirty at the seminar. Also an insurance release form will have to be signed by each participant at the seminar before any pipemaking can be done.

As a side note, please make your reservations at the Pheasant run resort. We know that there are other hotels around the area that are cheaper, but the Pheasant run managment has changed hands and is very concerned about the room quota not being fulfilled. If the room quota isnt fulfilled, we may not have a Chicago pipe show due to the fact that everyone is saving $10.00-$20.00 staying at other hotels in the area and not supporting the host hotel of the show. So please stay at the Pheasant Run Resort so that we can all keep enjoying the Chicago pipe show.

Thank you
Brian Ruthenberg

This is a great time! I will never be the pipemaker most people have the ability to be. I simply make yardpipes. But it's a great time! You will ruin a few fingernails. Get stain all over you somehow. Your backside will hurt from those chairs. Your feet will hurt from standing. But it's a great time! You can rub elbows with, and have your work looked at by some well known pipemakers. They will show you some things that are amazing.

Oh, and if you can, stick around and help Brian pack up. It always goes quick if there is plenty of hands.

:sunny:

This is a week from today! Going to be here quick. I would assume that by now the class is full. But if you are interested, call Brian to be sure.