2014 Northeast Regional Pipe Smoking Contest

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DoverPipes

Reaction score
It’s that time once again . . .

for the annual gathering of good friends, good stories,
good tobacco and good food

. . . and . . .

The 2014 Northeast Regional Pipe Smoking Contest

Festivities to begin at 1pm on Saturday, December 13, 2014
at the Southern Dutchess and Putnam Sportsman's Association
378 Cedar Hill Road, Wappingers Falls, NY 12590

Registration is $50.  ($10 of which goes to the SDPSA for renting the facility for the day)  We are going to have to limit the the number of contest participants to the first 48 registration forms returned.  Fee includes your contest pipe, tobacco, and buffet.  Since pipes will be made according to the number of people who have registered, no refunds can be considered.

Please fill out the form below, make check payable to Bill Feuerbach, and send both to Bill at
219 North Street
Newburgh, NY 12550
email:  [email protected]
phone (at S.M.Frank):  (800) 431-2752

**Please Note***In the event that we receive more than 48 registration forms, we will not turn anyone away.  But those received after the first 48 will not be able to participate in the smoking contest, unless one of the first 48 chooses not to participate and relinquishes their spot and the pipe.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bill, please enter my name in the 2014 Northeast Regional Pipe Smoking contest.  I am enclosing my non-refundable registration fee in the amount of $50.  (SDPSA members wanting to attend can do so for $40.)

NAME: ADDRESS:

EMAIL: PHONE:

CLUB AFFILIATION:

The 2014 Northeast Regional Pipe Smoking Contest & Pipe Show lives in 2014!!!
We WILL BE HAVING OUR YEARLY HOLIDAY EXTRAVAGANZA!!!!! :santa:

It was a close call, but the Hudson Valley Pipe Club has pulled it off!
Many thanks go out to club members Dennis McMahon,  Howie Rothstein, and our host, "Mr. Kaywoodie" himself, Bill Feuerbach!!!  Together, they were the driving force that made this all possible.

To refresh everyone's memories, this event was formally held at the S.M. Frank (Kaywoodie) factory in Peekskill, NY.

Due to a recent move, the event is being held at a new location in Wappingers Falls, NY.
I have scouted out the new location and it will be large enough for everything that we had at the old location. The site is close to Interstate 84 and NY State Route 9.

If anyone is interested in coming up and needs help getting there, let me know. There are trains that are fairly close and I can pick you up if need be. I am thinking about a shuttle van to the site if we receive enough interest.

Hope to see some East Coast B.O.B. there!

Sean,
This is fantastic, and I'll be looking forward to joining everyone as always. Bill really puts himself out to host this event with the asisstance of the Hudson Valley Club members. Hopefully we won't have to face another major snowstorm to drive in this year.
Andy

Thomas - this event traditionally has a KW Shellcraft that Bill Feuerbach produces as a yearly special edition. Several of these have become my best smokers.

A bunch of us from Morley's carpools up there. It's a fair haul, even without last year's epic snow.

hp
les

Sean - my hat's off to you, Bill, Dennis and Howie for pulling this off. When KW moved across the river, I knew it would be a considerable challenge to rebuild the event.

hp
les

Indeed, as Les stated, hat's off to Bill and the Hudson Valley crew for all of the hard work in securing the venue, believe me, I know how hard it is to find a place of welcome! Great job!

I look forward, as do all of my NY Pipe Club brethren, to attending the event and seeing all of the smiling faces (with pipes firmly planted) each year, it is the bright spot on our yearly event calendar! Such a wonderful way to enjoy the Holiday Season!

See you all there, safe travels!

Lou

The time is NOW!!!
If you haven't signed up and paid your money, you're going to be missing out on a grand time! :cheers:  

The Hudson Valley Pipe Club just had our monthly meeting last night and the plans are steamrolling along! We discussed the dinner buffet and beer selections for the evening. Hoo Boy!! This is going to be great! It looks like we will be getting kegs of assorted beers from the Newburgh Brewing Company! So, if you like small batch hand crafted beers, you are going to be VERY happy! Check their site and see what they are all about: http://www.newburghbrewing.com/

The dinner buffet looks like it will be an assortment of hot Italian trays and the obligatory "six foot hero" sandwich.

The contest pipe will be available to the first 48 sign ups. It is always a very solid and good looking Kaywoodie Pipe that is made by our own Bill Feuerbach (KWGuy here on BOB). I have been told what the shape is, but I have been sworn to secrecy!!! SORRY!!! :no:

Don't forget, there will be several tables for vendors at the event!
New and estate pipes / accessories will be available! Remember, "Cash is King"!!! :p

If you are wondering what the pipe smoking contest looks like, check this out from 2012: <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/W2nFwJqN2JU" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen ></iframe>
2011:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/9cGgqkjpgXQ" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen ></iframe>

Can't wait! I'll have truckload of NYPC'ers riding with me! Safe travels, all!

ATTENTION, ATTENTION!!! Kaywoodie Event UPDATE:

As per Bill Feurebach, please note the following regarding the Holiday Extravaganza scheduled for this Sat. at 1:00pm - again, I say, DON'T MISS IT...

Gentleman,

A quick update on this Saturdays event. We are currently at 55 people
registered. I think this will be a final number but there may be a
straggler or two. The event officially starts at 1pm but members of
the HVPC will be there by 11:30am for exhibitor set up.

We will have quite a few vendors at the event. Pipemakers Rolando
Negoita, Joe Skoda, Paul Bonacquisti, Tim Hynick and Kaywoodie. Neil
from Smokin' Holsters, Neal Yarm with his unique pipe stands,
Pipes2Dream, estate pipes from Andy Camire, Pete Rothenberg, Sam Weeks, Vernon Vig, Sean Noonan, Dave Ruth, Hank Saatchi, Howie Rothstein, and Dennis McMahon. Sean and Dennis will be selling pipes, racks and tobacco from Dick "Chief Catoonah" Silverman's estate for the family. So if your looking for a holiday gift for yourself there will be plenty
to pick from. A few guys can take credit cards and possibly a check,
but most on the list will be cash only so plan accordingly.

With the change in venue, we had to change caterers this year, but we found a local guy who comes highly recommended. Our menu will be similar to previous years with Chicken Marsala, Sausage & Peppers, Meatballs, Penne alla Vodka, Pasta Primavera, Eggplant Parm, 6 feet of Hero, rolls, and Ceasar Salad. There will be the usual snacks before dinner. Cake and cookies for desert. Beer, wine and soda is provided.

This year we are trying something new as far as the beer is concerned. We will have two sixtels (1/6 of a keg) of beer on tap from Newburgh Brewing Co. A local brewery with some excellent craft beers. We will have Newburgh Brown Ale and East Kolsch on tap. Check out their website for descriptions on the beer. www.newburghbrewing.com

Many of us know that a good scotch or bourbon pairs nicely with a bowl
full of tobacco. We do have a community "bar" for these tasty
beverages, but it is not included with your entry fee so if you think
you'll be drinking some, bring some to donate and share:)

As indicated in the registration flyer, the event is at the Southern
Dutchess and Putnam Sportsman's Association located at 378 Cedar Hill
Road, Wappingers Falls, NY 12590. (Some GPS's may identify that street
address as Fishkill). But the directions are easy off of Route
84, Exit 13 (Route 9). Take Route 9 North approximately 1 mile to
Route 52. Take a right at the light onto 52 East. Slightly more than
a mile will be Cedar Hill Road on your left. Turn left onto Cedar Hill
Road and the Gun Club will be about 1.3 miles on the left. The outdoor
gun range is open Saturday so you will here gunshots during the day. The clubhouse building is cozy with lots of mounts on the walls and a fireplace that will be burning during the day. And a ceiling exhaust fan will keep the air moving so the smoke is not too overwhelming.

The weather forecast as of now shows a dusting of snow Friday night but so far Saturday looks OK, improving during the day even. Nothing like last year:):) So I hope to see you all there and hopefully the new location works out for everyone.

If anyone has any questions please feel free to contact me.

Best regards
Bill Feuerbach
HVPC Member

Great Report! I wish I was closer to join in on the fun! You guys are very fortunate to have found a smoke friendly location in the day n age. :shock:

Funny thing is I would have never met the fellas in the "Hudson Valley Pipe Club"(HVPC) had it not been for B.O.B. !!!

The President of the club, Rob Garbarino, came up to me at the NY/NJ Pipe Show and introduced himself. He recognized me form the forum and asked if I had any interest in joining the HVPC. The rest, as they say, is history!!!

Great bunch of fellas!!!:king:
I consider myself very lucky to be a part of this event each year!

Sean,
They are a great bunch of guys, have some dedicated collectors as well as pipe makers. It makes the HVPC even better now that you are part of the group. Rob Garbarino is tops in my book, a wealth of information and his humor will have you rolling on the floor.