2015 KC Carving Contest Fund Raiser

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scotties22

Reaction score
One of the problems we have every year is funding the carving contest. We have used a raffle to pay the winning seven carvers and to award the 7-Day Set to the winning ticket holder. ALL the money raised in the raffle is divided equally between the seven carvers. Selling $25 raffle tickets is a chore that doesn't get any easier with time. Selling the tickets for less makes even less sense since the winner doesn't have to be present to win. Very careful records have to be kept.

I have come up with an idea and am calling it the "Carvers Helping Carvers" initiative. Myself and six other carvers have collaborated to make four pipes that will be  raffled off at $5 a ticket or 5 tickets for $20. ALL the proceeds will be split between the winning carvers of the Carver's Contest. The collaborations will be by Wayne Teipen and Scottie Piersel, Abe Herbaugh and Steve Norse, and Chris Morgan and Leif Backus, Mark Price and Scottie Piersel. That's a really good line up of carvers. Tickets can be purchased at Carvers Helping Carvers Raffle

This raffle will be held on April 16, 2015 at the regular meeting of the KC Pipe Club.

Below is an abridged version of my announcement on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter:

Announcing the 1st Annual Carvers Helping Carvers Raffle and Sale

Raffle Features Collaboration pipes by:

Wayne Teipen/Premal Chheda
Chris Morgan/Leif Backus
Clark Layton/Jesse Jones
Mark Price/Scottie Piersel
Steve Norse (flying solo)

Raffle to be held April 16, 2015 at the GKC Pipe Club Meeting. Tickets are 1 for $5 or 5 for $20 and can be purchased at shop.ladybriar.com. Tickets can be purchased through April 15, 2015 at 11:15pm CST. All proceeds will go to support the GKCPC North American Carver's Contest and will be split between this year's winning carvers.  

Each pipe is a raffle prize and four different winners will be drawn!

Special Thanks To:

Morgan Pipes
Leif Backus (Adventure Sworn Bushcraft)
Teipen Pipes
Mark Price Pipes
Piersel Pipes
Layton Pipes
Jones Pipes
Chheda Pipes
Vermont Freehand

Thank you all for your support!!
Scottie

11160570_1064778026869804_3776165768589378131_n.jpg

steve_10.jpg

photof10.jpg

layton10.jpg

img_9010.jpg

10 tickets purchased.

I assume I'll have something e-mailed to me or something?

EDIT: I just got a confirmation e-mail from your store, just wondering if that's it, and I'll hear back when I win. :lol:

Tickets are selling great! I have a few more feelers out and hope to be able to add a few more pipes to the raffle. I will update the thread as I start getting "in progress" pictures from the guys and then again as I have the pipes in hand.

Remember, you do not have to be present to win.

Thanks for the support!
Scottie

I forgot to add that Chris Morgan and Leif Backus of Adventure Sworn Bushcraft will be making a pipe/knife set. Just as a teaser here is a picture of the knife. The handle is horn and briar burl.

img_8910.jpg

I got an email about something being shipped.

What is it? Ticket stubs?

No...it's me being rediculous and hitting the wrong button on my order system. Nothing headed your way. I was trying to mark all the ticket orders I had as complete and marked them as shipped by accident. Gggrrrr...had about 20 people get that same email :lol: some times I really have some great blonde moments!

So 10 slips of paper go into a bin, and if I win, something will get mailed to the address associated with the paypal?

:confused:

Well...kind of. Your name is written on the raffle tickets and put in the bucket. Since this is basically a virtual event I didn't think it made sense to mail some little pieces of paper to everyone. If you win you are going to get a virtual parade on every social media outlet and forum of which I am a member. Then I will contact you to verify your paypal info and ship the pipe you have won. I have already had two people email me that their paypal address isn't correct so I will verify with all the winners.

Makes sense. Didn't think to ask until after buying tickets.

Thanks for the info!

I am excited to announce that Clark Layton and Jesse Jones will be making a pipe for the raffle. Clark sent me this picture a bit ago. The stummel is finished and he will be sending it off to Jeese for stemwork. Very very nice billiard with a spalted tamarind ring.

img_2011.jpg

I have updated the OP with a picture of the pipe/knife combo by Chris Morgan and Adventure Sworn Bushcraft. It's a stunner!!

Well, you twisted my arm real hard.... bought some. :)

For any of you on the fence about it, I can't think of a better reason to throw money at these folks; it's worth every penny, in my opinion.

DireWolf":why25uv1 said:
Please stop, lest I buy more tickets.

:lol:
Come on......you know you wanna :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Here's a bit more temptation for ya.  A quick peak at the pipe I am working on with Mark Price for the raffle. Mark is working on the stem and shank ring now. Should be finished soon and it's gonna be a looker. :D

photof10.jpg

Here's the next finished pipe for the raffle. A beautiful straight billiard by Steve Norse.  I will take pictures in my lightbox tonight and update the OP

img_2010.jpg

Aaannnnnddddd I guess I'll turn this pic right side up when I get back to my computer.

Updated the OP with a picture of Steve Norse's Billiard.

I should have the last 3 pipes soon! 8)

Just updated the OP with a picture of my pipe with Mark Price. The other two will be here shortly. :D

I just updated the OP with the beautiful billiard that Clark Layton and Jesse Jones made.  Just to save you a trip back to the beginning, here are the four pipes I have inhand.  I should have the Teipen/Chheda pipe by the end of this week.

steve_10.jpg

photof10.jpg

layton10.jpg

img_9010.jpg

You still have time to purchase tickets for a chance to win!