221b Black Shag

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

d4klutz

Reaction score
I recently acquired some of this blend in a tad order a week or so ago. The reviews were mixed, but I decided to try it anyways. Has anyone else tried it? What are your thoughts? I like it a lot. It is a simple blend that burns well, is smooth, and has a natural taste. It does NOT taste like old slipper either :) it is slightly sweet without being a strong baccy like tambolaka. I would rate the strength as a 3 out of 5. If you havent tried any, do so. You might be surprised.

I acquired a sample when I was bombed last summer, the stuff I received had some age to it, the tin I bought after wards is pretty much how you described it, but the sample I had gave much more flavor, so I put mine up to age a while, altho I know I should just leave it be for a while, I still snag a bowl now and then

Haven't sampled the Black Shag, but I do smoke the Arcadia from time to time.

One of the guys at a local pipe shop turned me onto it. He described it best as having an aged tobacco taste. I haven't sampled enough aged tobacco to agree, but Arcadia does taste very different from most of what I typically smoke. It's mellow but spicy. Good stuff.

I had a fresh tin a couple of years ago. It wasn't bad by any stretch, but it didn't strike me as "great." Still - lots of VA in that tin, so I hid another tin away to gather dust and try again down the road. I think it's got 4 years on it now (maybe?)...I'm interested to see if/how much it has improved.

My tin had 2 yes age on it when I got it. Perfect moisture level for me. I really like that it isn't too sweet. Just abgood, solid baccy. I have more ordered. Should arrive today.

I really liked it but found it burned too quick in medium to large pipes I had, ended up making lots of tasty hand rolled cigs from it.

Tried it years ago. Didn't care for it and haven't revisited it.

Have been smoking it off and on for the past 3 months. I am actually letting it brood in a mason jar between smokes. Just trying to see if the blend changes for the good. Yes it has. On first smoking 221b i thought it was a tad harsh right out of the tin. Like I said I jarred it up and have been smoking a bowl every once in a while. Like any tobacco it has its own merits. Will I buy more, yes. Will I jar this. Yes. I w0uld give it a solid 3.5 out of 5