$2800 Zippo - School me

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riff raff

Reaction score
OK - School me. 48 people bid on this unused Zippo. Over half bid $1,000 or over, and the final bid was $2,800. Very little info was listed about the lighter. What do those folks know that I don't? With that many high dollar bids, there has to be something very unique about this lighter. Any clue?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Retail-Credit-Reports-Company-Service-Zippo-Lighter-/161262048574?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=PFxJlfv%252FZVyIkuJj3xxl4IRtpnI%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

$_12.JPG

$_12.JPG

The gentleman who has the "Passionate Wick" zippo collector website emailed me back with this reply:

http://www.thepassionatewick.com/

Hi Al The fact that it is from 1939 and is unused is amazing in itself. The original box and paperwork are in near perfect condition, and this type of box is valued around $1000+ Then we add the fact that it has a "metallique" with all the original paint and there you go, It has all the most desirable things going for it. I would not be surprised to have seen this lighter get as much as $4000, to be honest. If you go to my site, you will find information on the "metallique" and the "pre-War lighters. Regards Paul

INSANE!!!!!! to say the least  :affraid: 

GAK!!! For a lighter that can't be used without destroying its value! No thanks. It's nice but not for me.

Jim

Interestingly, I put this on another forum as well. Between the two, there are no big Zippo collectors. I guess we blow all of our cash on pipes and collectible lighters take a back seat. I wonder if they call it ZAD vs. PAD?

I had no idea that the humble zippo could go for that much. As soon as you light it for the 1st time it will be worth 10 bucks

This is an example of why I have always enjoyed "Antiques Roadshow". It's fascinating to see the variety of items that people collect and to learn what makes some items valuable: rarity, condition, construction, history, etc.