3 common samples

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bolson

Reaction score
I humbly request the knowledge base of the group to help me choose 3 readily available tobaccos to sample from a new smokers standpoint. I currently smoke bulk whilshire available at the local tinderbox and like it enough to continue, but want to add to the experience with something new.

No aromatics, but open beyond that.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Brant

Samuel Gawith - Full Virginia Flake: It's a great example of a straight forward Virginia tobacco.

A&C Peterson - Escudo Navy Deluxe: A quintessential Virginia/Perique (VaPer) blend.

After those two I would suggest probably a Burley but most would probably suggest an English. I don't smoke them so I don't have much of an opinion on what's good or not. :lol:

Samuel Gawith's Squadron Leader, a nice medium English, very flavorful, not terribly strong.

Gawith and Hoggarth's Broken Scotch cake, a mild but flavorful Virginia blend with no bite, easy to pack, a nice smoke.

G.L. Pease Haddos' Delight, a wonderful vaper that is a joy to smoke, easy on the palate and is amazingly delicious.

I'd strongly suggest trying MacBaren's Navy Flake! Try rubbing it out quite a bit as you're probably not acustomed to smoking flake tobaccos yet.A small to medium sized bowl works best...

Best,
Dock
:pipe:

Penzance

Escudo

Cumberland

If your gonna do it, do it right. :shock:

puros_bran":q0n70dhl said:
Penzance...Cumberland
Trying to knock the poor fellow on his arse PB?! :lol:

These are quite yummy and unique, but might give you a bit of a slap if you're not prepared :twisted: They are delicious though :D

Puff Daddy":4eo50skl said:
Trying to knock the poor fellow on his arse PB?! :lol:

These are quite yummy and unique, but might give you a bit of a slap if you're not prepared :twisted: They are delicious though :D
And this coming from a guy that recommended Haddo's Delight. :suspect:

I thought we're trying to get more members...not send them to the never never land of nicotine flogging . :bounce:

Jim

You guys consider Penzance a nicotine bomb?

I've always thought it was quite mild, very full flavored but mild in the Vitamin N dept.

I've only smoked a few bowls of Penzance, but I would classify it as being medium in the vitamin N department.

Jim

I'm surprised no one's mentioned 1792 :mrgreen:

The only one I would add is Old Joe Krantz that quickly was added to my "A" list and could be for all, an all day tobbacy.

:D Paul

Ol'Dawg":ubtn25ez said:
And this coming from a guy that recommended Haddo's Delight. :suspect:

I never got the nic jitters from Haddo's but I've heard it affects some that way, guess it's the perique. I love perique in a vaper but hate it in an English/balkan, go figure.

Penzance isn't strong in nicotine but it certainly asserts itself in the olfactory department. Don't try smoking it in the house while the wife is sitting beside you :evil: Learned that one the hard way :lol:

You are already smoking lanes 1Q if you have wilshiere

burley:try carter hall

dunhill's early morning pipe is a good starter blend and can be found online in bulk

butternut burley is another good blend

You just got a bad wife PDiddy :twisted: , mine tolerates most Va blends but actually likes heavy Latweed blends.

puros_bran":dslvtjvt said:
You just got a bad wife PDiddy :twisted: , mine tolerates most Va blends but actually likes heavy Latweed blends.
Does she have a sister??? :D ;)

According the Tinder Box website, the description of Wilshire is:
"Named for our oldest store on Wilshire Boulevard. A unique Cavendish blend that is mild, flavorful and delightly aromatic."

Since you are starting from that point, what comes to my mind are:

Rattray - Old Gowrie

McClelland - British Woods

Middleton - Walnut

Warwick":4jbv7hni said:
According the Tinder Box website, the description of Wilshire is:
"Named for our oldest store on Wilshire Boulevard. A unique Cavendish blend that is mild, flavorful and delightly aromatic."

Since you are starting from that point, what comes to my mind are:

Rattray - Old Gowrie

McClelland - British Woods

Middleton - Walnut

I really did not know that Wilshire was considered an aromatic?? I was thinking aromatics were more of a "flavored" blend?...like peaches and cream or something silly like that. :?:

I have always loved the smell of a pipe, my father and grandfather used to smoke a pipe, and I just loved it....brings back wonderful memory's.

My only hold back is anything 'vanilla' not a vanilla anything fan, candles, coffee (coffee should be hot strong bold and rich, not ruined by hazelnutvanillacinimochajokablueberry flavoring....(sorry am a bit stodgy on that point) :afraid:

Could anyone tell me the difference between 'cake' and 'flake',

also am looking at plum cake, and Scottish cake or flake, and a whiskey flavor??? and the navy flake i have been reading about, how is that?

Newbie mania strikes again....
LdyDoc