3-in-1 Tool

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 4351

Reaction score
At the suggestion of my local toby shop owner, I bought a 3-in-1 tool that includes a tamper, a spoon-like wedge, and a thin metal post. The tamper, I understand. The spoon, I have found uses for (cleaning out the bowl, honing the cake on my pipe, etc.). It is the post that confuses me. What is its intended purpose?

As a writer, I can think of uses for the thing, from cleaning a clogged toby pipe to drunk-punching malevolent gnomes, but I would prefer to know how I'm meant to use it before I go defending myself against magical garden creatures.

I would vote for cleaning out a clogged drought hole, but there’s no reason you can’t use it to defend yourself against the occasional gnome.

Todd

taharris":piu5iey5 said:
I would vote for cleaning out a clogged drought hole, but there’s no reason you can’t use it to defend yourself against the occasional gnome.

Todd
Yep. I smoke a lot of cobs. This "post" comes in very handy as they can clog mid-smoke given their mechanics.

....and for removing stones out of unicorn hooves.

Personally I use the spike to loosen up the ash at the end of a smoke so I can tip it out. I only ever run a pipe cleaner through a pipe. No hard and fast rules though, I guess it's whatever works for you Mr P. :)

Punched gnome with post <stop>

Little bastards punch back <stop>

Will find alternative uses for post <stop>

Ow <stop>

Pokety-poke  pokety-poke!    

It's there to ask... what does this thing do?!! :scratch:

It was left off the original Swiss army knife because they didn't know what to do with it! :?:

Actually, I use it to push down through the tobacco to get a better draw if I pack the pipe too tight. :cheers:

Ozark Wizard":8060lp8e said:
I'll use the pick to stir the last bit of the bowl. I really don't tamp.
Same. I tamp very little as well, but the pick is quite handy for aeration and touching up the ashes and embers.

The pick can save an over packed bowl by carefully running it down between the pipe wall and the tobacco and using it as a lever to pull up the wad of tobacco just a little. Because sometimes you really can't just pull it all out and start again. In cobs I've had to pull the bit and shove the pick down the draft hole into the bowl to dislodge chunks of tobacco blocking the draw. Other than that it gets used to stir the ash.

Jim