3M 3000 grit Trizact foam paper as a knife strop

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackhorse

Trading Post Moderator
Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
Saw a thing on YouTube touting 3M 3000 grit foam backed TRIZACT abrasive sheets as a strop for knife blades. I ordered a sheet ($9) from Amazon cause with the foam backing it should make an ideal strop for convex ground blades. One if the reviews on A also claimed to use it with great success for knife blades. Check it out.

Looking to see how it works for you! I saw I can pick up at our local Advance Auto. They had both for 3000 grit and 5000 grit. In the video it said 3000 grit. Did you made 5000 grit on a mistake or did you had a preference?

Earlier, you showed the Flexcut #P14 knife strop and later about 3m 3000 grit trizactfoam. Which one you preferred to using your knives for a very sharp cutting-edge?

Thanks! (In the earlier 70's I became friends from Jimmy Lile and bought #7 fixed knife. He sharpened on a belt with no bevel.) I may try to get it similar as sharp on the 3m foam. Any thoughts?

1. Look up tutorials on YouTube for the visuals. That can be very helpful.
2. Be careful in choosing grind angles, which are often very specific to different steels.

Are you going to do edge testing like rope cutting stuff?

That's darn cool. Thanks for sharing. I never did pick up that Flexcut #PW14 Knife Strop you recommended. I don't know why I'd be more inclined to try something like this, but I feel it might be.

1. Look up tutorials on YouTube for the visuals. That can be very helpful.
2. Be careful in choosing grind angles, which are often very specific to different steels.

Are you going to do edge testing like rope cutting stuff?
Rope cutting testing? You may use it but not me.
I have read a lot of stuff on sharpening knives but never heard the different specfic steels to grind angles. They said Japanese and filet knives 15%, kitchen knives 20%, and hunting and pocket knives 20% up to 25%.
When I asked any thoughts, never mind!