4Noggins score

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ozark Wizard

Reaction score
I read somewhere that 4Noggins had tins of Balkan Sobranie for sale, so I looked. Sure enough, they did! One tin per customer, period. The only way to get two tins would be to create a new username and have it sent to a different address, use a different payment method, etc. I could handle that, but it was over twenty something bucks for fifty grams, and I already played that game with Stokkebye's 4th Generation's Tobacco of The Year.

I digress.............

Anyhow, I browsed the site a bit, and looked at my order history for giggles. Heavy sighs when saw the cancelled orders for some McClelland stuff they had listed as available but actually weren't during the Great McRush. One line I didn't recognize so I clicked the link. Ah yes, Benjamin Hartwell's Signature Blend. Got one back in the day. The option to reorder was there. I clicked the link again...........

I put two in the cart. Checked out. It processed for daaaaaayyyyyyssssss. Then, I saw a tracking number. I followed the package closely. I wondered if I did indeed get what I ordered, as I checked the day after ordering and saw it was once again OOS. The box arrived yesterday, with two well packed tins of Signature Blend, dated 2017.....

I'm almost afraid to open one now....

Ozark Wizard":pmzp2e2l said:
Ah, the ol' foil pouch. As much as I smoked 759, I don't think I ever bought one of those. As the prophetic Paul Simon said, "Preserve your memories. They're all that's left you."

I hope this doesn't come off as snarky or crappy, because I wish 4Noggins only success and good will, but does anyone else get pinged with the reflex that showing these tins at $300-400 sort of makes everyone involved look bad? Even if they're consignment tins and are prey to a formula to arrive at a price, eh.

Ozark Wizard":u5ci2jy5 said:
Anyhow, I browsed the site a bit, and looked at my order history for giggles. Heavy sighs when saw the cancelled orders for some McClelland stuff they had listed as available but actually weren't during the Great McRush. One line I didn't recognize so I clicked the link. Ah yes, Benjamin Hartwell's Signature Blend. Got one back in the day. The option to reorder was there. I clicked the link again...........

I put two in the cart. Checked out. It processed for daaaaaayyyyyyssssss. Then, I saw a tracking number. I followed the package closely. I wondered if I did indeed get what I ordered, as I checked the day after ordering and saw it was once again OOS. The box arrived yesterday, with two well packed tins of Signature Blend, dated 2017.....

I'm almost afraid to open one now....
That Signature blend is mighty fine indeed. I've been through a couple tins and still have one lurking somewhere here that I'll have to ferret out. Must have at least 5 yrs on it by now.

Open and smoke it Ozzie, you'll be glad you did. After all, you now have 2. Lucky dawg!

Cheers,

RR

I find it sad when retailers jack up prices like that on tobacco brands that are supposed to still be in production, even if some of them are not regularly in stock.

And, as for paying $450 for a so much bone dry tobacco that even when you rehydrate it, the taste is gone, only one thing comes to mind: I might be dumb, but I ain't stupid. :clown:

Rich used to draw the line on some consignment prices...Jeff is more interested in $ than in pleasing his customers so it seems. Several I know of have sent emails to him...and get no reply. Rich had his faults to be sure, but he was a gentleman and a pleasure to do business with...more than once I'd call him to place an order and not using credit cards, I told him that I would mail a check...'bout the third time he would send it out before receiving said check...he knew that I was not gonna stiff him and that was customer service that kept me coming back to him.
Jeff, I won't do business with...just my personal feelings and not to be construed to throw shade on him. He is no Rich.

I've heard that smokinpipes.com is pretty good. P&C will aggravate you to death.

pepesdad1":hxyij59e said:
I've heard that smokinpipes.com is pretty good.  P&C will aggravate you to death.
I have never had any issues with P&C, in fact I've always had pretty good customer service there.

I've had them lie to me more times than I can count...last one was where they definitely, no question about it, had my tobacco set aside for the rest of the order to be filled...1 day later, Oops...no we are out of that item...what happened to you holding it in your hot lil hand for me?...well, we are out of stock for that item right now..yeah, OK.
Been on backorder for HH Burley Flake for 10 weeks...10 weeks, what's up with that? I can deal with most anything...but don't lie to me, one of your customers that used to order 'bout every month. That just seriously pisses me off. I am not the only one...I know of at least 4 other folks whom I talk to regularly that have had the same experience...maybe they just don't like customers whose last name starts with an F or an N or a G or a S. I've had enough as they have had...no more P&C...they can give it to me and I would send it back...I'm done!!

pepesdad1":thbzvjxj said:
I've heard that smokinpipes.com is pretty good. P&C will aggravate you to death. 
sp.com is a class act IMHO. Never had a bad transaction with them, and their CS is second to none.

Can't really comment on P&C now, as I only had a few transactions with them before the ownership changed many years ago. And although their packaging methods were terrible, I got what I ordered.

Have not ordered from 4Nog since Rich retired. Say what you will about Rich, but he was very good to me and rustled up some JLP blends that had gone out of production at my request. And that was of course while he still had access to the components.

Cheers,

RR

Besides all this, some of the prices went up at 4noggins as well. I've simply stopped ordering from them.

Ah, well, prices are going up everywhere, no stopping that action... As far as P&C, of late I've not had issues.

I did open that Benjamin Hartwell. Been smoking it almost all day. I gotta find more when I get more funds....:D

Ozark you are correct prices are going up everywhere best I’ve seen is 2.95 an ounce for Dunhill at jungle Jim’s in Cincinnati. But I wonder how much of the price rise is due to the changes mandated by the government.

Smoking Pipes is more than competitive with P&C, at least where I've looked, and often with sales etc, they're THE place to shop. They get more and more of my business all the time. P&C does have a greater selection though. Sometimes, you just have to bite it.

Having second thoughts about this whole thing. Everyone has experiences with this or that vendor that are good, or great or...yeah, not so much. It’s a shame when one customer has a string of poor experiences certainly. But nobody’s perfect, not even close. I just don’t like a “bash fest”. What IS good is for some poor bloke to realize he’s not the only one it’s happening to. But we can likely ALL pull up some unsavory story or stories. Stuff happens...nobody likes it...you, me OR the vendor. To me it’s more what a vendor does after the fact. If you don’t like a certain site, feel you’ve been treated badly there...vote with your proverbial feet...go elsewhere. I’ve done that on a few occasions. Hope I don’t have to again. We’ll see.

uh, I was just happy to get something I liked while looking for something else. I guess I shouldn't post about that. Didn't expect the bashing! We have other threads for that... ;)