4N's Prairie Wind

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Psmith

Reaction score
Pulled this one out of the back of the cabinet this morning where it had been hiding for well over a year. Sometime a couple of years ago I filled an empty old BBF tin with it, wrapped it in some elastic bands and forgot about it. I remember at that time I really enjoyed the tin note and found it produced huge amounts of smoke and burned well without relights which was pleasurable but it wasn't really hitting the spot because the topping was leaving a funny taste in my mouth. It was also very moist and gurgling a bit around halfway through any bowl.
This morning though I found it had mellowed considerably in terms of the topping (can't quite figure out what it is...cognac?) but it was still somewhat moist owing to the wonders of PG.
The smoking experience had improved though. The first third of the bowl I couldn't taste a thing maybe due to the fact I have been smoking stronger tobaccos like Durbar and FVF for the last couple of months. But around the halfway mark to the end I found that it began to develop some character and by the last third I was definitely enjoying the perique in it. Thankfully the topping no longer left any kind of residual flavor having either dissipated or melded into the tobacco over the year in storage.
All in all a good smoke and in the world of Va/Per I would say it belongs in the mild to med spectrum. Not earth shattering or mind blowing I would say it pretty much can be described as pleasant. It won't overtake Escudo or St. James Flake as a prime example of a Va/Per but, with a little age, is a nice and reasonably priced member of that genre.

I also enjoy Prairie Wind as a nice change of pace VaPer. As you say it's on the mild side of med but tasty nonetheless.

Interesting to hear you say yours is that moist. Mine came at exactly the kind of moisture level I like - which is on the dry side. Load and light.

I'd kind of forgotten about this one. Think I might have some squirreled away somewhere. Must look for it when I get a round tuit!

Cheers,

RR

Prairie Wind is my bread and butter and I smoke it daily. I just love this one.

I'm pleased to hear that it matures well because I've got about 1kg stored in glass jars.