5G

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RSteve

Reaction score
I had a lengthy conversation with a friend last evening on the "merits" of 5G. He's a retired broadcast engineer. Says he was able to pick up a gray market unlocked 5G cellphone for a bit over $300 and is using it on the T-Moblie service. Once he realized how fast the 5G service is, he cancelled his internet provider which could only provide him with 12 mps. He says that via 5G, he's clocking 50 to 60 mps. For TV, he's currently mirroring from his phone (I'm repeating what he said, don't really understand it myself.) Says he's working on tethering his phone to a router. As I am, he's an army veteran using T-Mobile's $100/month for four unlimited lines. He and his wife each have a line and his son and daughter-in-law have the other two.
It's got me thinking as I also have T-Mobile and my internet provider is $600/year.

Since I wrote the post above, T-Mobile and Verizon are now promoting 5G internet service. You get a combination modem/router, up to 100 mps, unlimited and $50/month for customers who also subscribe to their cell phone service.

Our family is on the “family deal” via TMobile...then tack on the military veteran deal. So unlimited everything for one person at base rate then add three more at $10/month per line more. So currently it works out to $25 per line. We also get a major streaming TV network added for free. I think it’s Netflix. We could all go to that 5G for that + $50/month thing...but we’d all have to get new phones. Three of us are still paying upgrade fees per month for our last phone upgrade. I have a great iPhone X that I love. I run my WiFi only iPad via the iPhone’s link when I’m away from home...very handy. In fact all of us use our phone’s 4G to access internet, etc. when away from our respective home’s WiFi. I think our monthly would maybe double if we did the 5G Shuffle. I think we’ll wait til our current hardware is paid off. I know that eventually everything we need to do will be “5G only”...but I think we’ll wait til we’re to that point.

I have the same T-Mobile plan, $100 month/4-lines and Netflix. My two phones are Moto G5+ Android 8.1. I bought them new on Ebay for $107 each. My daughter and her husband, who have the other two lines, also had G5s, but recently bought 2 open box Pixel 4a for $219 each. The monthly cell bill is on my daughter's credit card. Once a year I write her a check for $600 and "consider" my cell service free.

I had one of those Hello Moto 5G’s before my iPhone X. I liked it very much...but Infind the iPhone X matches me more effectively. Plus it’s waterproof for short & shallow. Got an Otterbox mustard yellow case on it. Damn near glows in the dark.

CD8EFF60-E97A-47A5-8B76-4828C1A7FE0D.jpeg

I don't want anything on the cell bill than the $100 monthly service fee and I rarely use data except to stream music. A simple cheap phone is all I need.

My Moto G used to get two full days on a charge. Now, I'm getting about 10 hours. I see a 5G phone in my immediate future. I'm thinking I may buy OnePlus Nord N10 5G BE2029 128GB 6GB RAM GSM Factory Unlocked
Will work with any GSM network such as T-Mobile, AT&T, MetroPCS.
Will not work with Cricket Wireless,
Will Not Work on Any CDMA networks such as Verizon, Page Plus, Spectrum Mobile, etc.*

Of course...you could always just buy a replacement battery for your Moto G. About $20 - $30.
There's not a phone repair service in Mpls-St. Paul that will open your phone's case for less than $50. My older daughter required replacement of the charging jack on a Samsung phone. The lowest estimate she got was $160+tax. Instead she bought a new, open box Pixel 3X for $249.00.