64 years ago today.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

puros_bran

Reaction score
My grandfather and a couple of buddys visited a beach in France.

Remember your Hero's fellers.

God bless them PB and the sacrifices made by your loved ones!

Hear, hear!

Here's the the health and memory of those good men who rose to the occasion and answered the call of duty.

Papaw would thank you but he's eat up with dementia.

I remember as a kid seeing him mow with his shirt off, I asked him 'how'd all them bugs get in your skin Papaw?'... Course he just chuckled, it was later on in life I learned it was shrapnel.

He declared consciensis(slaughtered spelling I know) objector when drafted.. They asked if he was opposed to the war effort or if he was opposed to killing.. Papaw told them it was the violence against fellow men, he believed the bible taught against violence..
They made him a Medic.
At some point he was in a MASH and the Germans bombed the place, Papaw looked over and saw a buddy with missing limbs, he scooped him up and ran to the next MASH. When he plopped the dude on a gurney Papaws guts fell out on top the guy. He says he didn't even know he'd been hit... The only thing that saved his life was trying to save the life of a friend. Anyway, they ended up shipping him to Britian where he was eventually given the choice of coming home or going back to his unit. He went back to his unit. I was in awe when I first heard this. Papaw always says it was because of all the dope they had him on... Maybe, but I doubt it.

Anyhoot that's just one man, there were thousands more just like him that day. Its an oft overlooked day but to him and anyone else that served before or after... Thank you.

About 7 years ago a friend of mine in Wales with whom I trade tobacco
found a G.I.'s silver ID bracelet while treasure hunting on the beach around
South Hampton.He belongs to a club that uses those metal detectors to search
for crap that people lose.
He gave me the information on the bracelet,I wrote to the local newspaper in
Missouri,and made contact with the mans son.The G.I. was still alive,85 years
old and owned a funeral parlor.He had been a mortician in the Army and was
instrumental in establishing the military cemetaries in Europe.
The bracelet was returned to him after 50 years of being buried under 6 inches
of mud.He said that he didn't remember losing it,there was so much on his mind
at the time.

Winslow

His son sent me a videotape of a newscast from a Louisville TV station
that broadcast the story.The man started crying as he received the bracelet
and talked about all the boys they buried over there[50,000] I think.I felt kind
of sad that I had revived some bad memories for him.

Winslow

They've been called "The Greatest Generation" and I wholeheartedly agree.My father was in the other theatre of operations,having shipped out two months after marrying my mother;they borrowed $50 from a family member to elope...guts,determination,character,faith,hope,and great love and compassion are the marks of those people.The invasion at Normandy could only be pulled off by such folk.
May we remember them always.And may we emulate them as best we can TODAY!! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Respectfully,Tony

My father almost made that landing. He was a machine gunner on a 40mm AAA gun. It was decided a few days before the invasion that there would be so many allied planes in the air that no room would be left up there for anyone else. He made the crossing a few days afterward. He did however, manage to find himself spending Christmas caught smack in the middle of "The Bulge".

Can't even imagine the courage it took, greatest generation for sure.

I have that movie "Saving Private Ryan" on a DVD,seems tonight would be
just the right time to watch it again.The first 1/2 hour of that movie is so intense.

Winslow

None of my family made those landings, most of them that served in one theater or the other. I don't think any of them 'wanted' to go. they all did.

Bd

NEVER FORGET!!!

P,

Thats the America that makes me proud. Those that came before us left a wonderful legacy, we are forever in their debt....

I would agree with the statement of "The Greatest Generation". I cannot fathom the courage it took to land on those supposedly impregnable beaches for freedoms sake. Do you realize that in one day the casualties for the Allied forces equaled what the casualties for the U.S. in all of Iraq since that terrible war started. My hats off to those and all Veterans. My step father (brothers father, same mother) fought in the Pacific theater during the war. I pray that another "War to end all Wars" never happens again.