7 day pipe sets

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

I have read a couple of times, about "7 day pipe sets", with a pipe for each day...so they others can rest...

What is the theaory behing this??? Is it a collectors thing or personal preference?

I do like the Idea, collecting pipes in sets of 7 diffrent 'kinds', like a set of Kay Woodies, Pearsone, dr G, etc....

Input please??

Wado
LdyDoc
:queen:

I think a week is a minimum pipe rotation. You're right a lot of makers sold cased 7 day sets, some have a designated day screened on the case lining. The most impressive sets I've seen are the gator cased Charatan and the wood cased Ashton sets. Dunhill makes a variety of pipe sets I've seen many 7 day, two 31 day sets and I've read they made a 365 day set which I believe did not sell and was broken up. I've seen a few Kaywoodie matched grain sets. One set was unsmoked for about $200. I like the idea of collecting pipes in groups. You can gather them as you wish by maker, shape, finish, what have you, it's your collection enjoy! :shock:

Most of those 7 day sets I've seen are fairly $$$ to my limited budget, IMHO biggeners such as myself should probably stick to getting a decent seven day rotation of varied makers, which I hav'nt quite achieved yet. This also gives me the opportunity to try diff carvers work. Of course this all hinges on an individuals budget for their rotation, mine being closely monitored by SHMBO.

Bulldog

What I have been thinking of doing, is collecting various pipes of the same 'kind' ( ie kay woodies, MM etc) of diffrent styles, and 'making' my own 7 day sets. I like diversety and uniqueness, as well as just interesting peices....

I am thinkin so far, I really like Kay Woodie. The MM for 'daily' use, I take one with me in the car(redwood), have one a cob for the barn or any out doors activities...

I have a couple of interesting vintage pipes, I picked up, just cuz I liked how they looked....(ya am an odd ball)

Keep up with the input I love it.....(will pick your brains clean!!)

LdyDoc

Missouri Meerschaum has made them over the years. I have parts of two sets with one original box. The older set had pretty nice bits on them. The more recent, not so bad bits. A little better than the singles use. Very affordable when you can find them.

I think the set idea is more of a marketing or collecting concept - If you've got enough pipes to rest them properly between smokes that's all you really need, though don't let that dissuade you from buying or creating your own complete set if that's what you like.

-Andrew