$8.25 oz. "on sale": Squadron Leader

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RSteve

Reaction score
I wish I were more thrifty. I do indulge my eccentricities. I spent almost $1k on a Panama Hat before it was made for me. Yet, today, I swallowed hard when I read the email offering 50 grams of Squadron Leader for $14.85 $8.25 oz. I think the only tobacco for which I've not hesitated to pay more than $3.00 oz. is for perique. Yes, I have purchased, although rarely, a $20.00 cigar.
What's the general impression on buying? Do you buy what you want and does price matter?

Being on a retirement income I would say I'm a lot more thrifty compared to years past. I've cut way back on my cigar box purchases although I still like the occasional $10+ cigar (usually purchased at a local cigar shop). Pipe tobacco I tend to purchase what is on sale and something that I feel is a newer blend that I would like to try.

1k on a panama? Yeah, that hardly qualifies as thrifty, lol. If I really want something, I will usually get it, ex. my favorite stetson for $200. But I have friends who spend $700+ on western hats and think nothing of it. God bless em, but not for me. Most expensive pipe for me, so far, is the Pete Rosslare I just bought for $148. Guess I qualify as a tight a**..

1k on a panama? Yeah, that hardly qualifies as thrifty, ..
"I do indulge my eccentricities." The hat was evaluated and appraised as museum quality. I could easily sell it for three times what I paid for it. Needless to say, it's never been worn.

My hat is a Montecristi, made as a commission about 15 years ago. Currently made and sold by a retailer, $3k would be a bargain. Look at this website to see how prices have escalated for high grade Panama hats. For daily summer wear I have several lesser grade hand woven panamas, but I highly recommend Bailey Lite Straw. I have four styles in those, as well. They retail from $125 to $150 and are assembled of machine made shantung straw; and they look and feel great. Here's one of the shapes I have:
436031.jpg

You can also find Ecuador straw, hand woven hats in cuenca and brisa weaves which are much less expensive than Montecristi.

Last edited:
Verrry interesting. Never knew there was such a market for panamas. Reminds me of photos I've seen of cigar tobacco growers from the DR and Honduras. My daily summer wear is one of 3 Justin western straws, about $20 from Tractor Supply, lol. However, I do have a Bailey high end western straw that set me back $140. Save it for visits to the local watering hole, Jersey Lilly's on Whiskey Row in Prescott.

There's a sizable market for high end hats including Panama hats. Optimo Hats in Chicago is at the forefront of that niche market. I don't think they make a hat under $500. Here's an interesting news story about Optimo.

I’ve got several hats made by Art Fawcett of Vintage Sillouettes. If you’ve seen someone wearing a classic fedora in the movies (Sea Biscuit is one example) it was likely made by Art. He’ll do wool felt but prefers to work in Beaver. Five or six years ago his top of the line were going for a grand. Luckily I got mine way before that.
Several links below:

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/thr...-custom-hats-official-affiliate-thread.71408/

I’ve got several hats made by Art Fawcett of Vintage Sillouettes. If you’ve seen someone wearing a classic fedora in the movies (Sea Biscuit is one example) it was likely made by Art.
Yes! Art is legendary. Periodically, I'll check to see if a used one pops up on Ebay that could be a 7 3/8.

I don’t know what the various models of Akubra hats are going for these days but I have a number of those and if they’re not bullet proof they’re pretty close. A quick search shows new Akubra fedoras are in the $150 range.

Enabler!!! I went to Ebay, searched for a pre-owned Art Fowler and wound up buying another Bailey Lite Straw for 26% of retail and it's new with tags. I need it like I need another, fill in the blank___________________________

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
people have their things and priorities. I try not to judge. Some will gladly pay $200 for white T-shirt and feel it is absolutely worth it. When I pay more than $4 for an undershirt, I wondery why. If I had the money, I wouldn't hesitate to invest $20K into a stereo system, while never wanting anything more than a used beater car. Or would feel better about spending more on a bicycle than a car. Rational? HA! Emotional. I'm tight about tobacco too, and it give me a lot more pleasure than many things that cost me more.

If I had the money, I wouldn't hesitate to invest $20K into a stereo system, while never wanting anything more than a used beater car.
Priorities do change. In this past year, I've literally disposed of thousands of dollars of audio gear. Boston Acoustics VR speakers, Klipsch speakers, Crown power amp, graphic and parametric equalizers, several subs, Schiit pre-amp and headphone amp, etc. At age 76, I realize my hearing isn't great and all the gear was just taking up room.

Went to the Montecristi site. As someone who wears Irish Walking Hats and my old U.S.N. wool watch cap, I was stunned at what those Panama hats were going for.
To each his own.

Went to the Montecristi site. I was stunned at what those Panama hats were going for.
Hand woven Panamas are a dying art and highest quality hats are being purchased by collectors.

I have a Panama hat that I bought in the Bahamian String Market for $15. It may be a piece of junk compared to the real brands but I've enjoyed wearing it every summer since. I guess I've had it four years or so and it's still hanging in there. I was wearing it in the Dominican Republic a couple of years ago and a tour guide complimented it and asked who the maker was. I've thought about buying a nicer one but the prices have always put me off.