8 oz. Bohemian Scandal!!!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would pay $200 for that tin, but won't ever bother bidding because I know it will go for much more.

It is supposed to be really good and no longer available. A potentially explosive combination in the hands of a pipe smoker!

I guess I could see that. Of course I haven't even spent $200 on a pipe. Let alone one tin of tobacco.

I believe it has something to do with Syrian vs Cyprian Latakia in the blend. One of them is no longer available, at least to GLP, and this blend contains/contained that one.

Could be wrong though, that is just what I have gathered from the interwebz.

I think I maybe in the minority here but.....I smoked through 2 oz's of this stuff when it first came out. I was really into english blends back then. I recall it being harsh and without substantial flavor. Nothing I'd want to try again even if it were $9.00 per tin. It's not a refelection on Greg. He has a few blends which I really like. This just ain't one of em'...

I really got zealous about posting it in several threads when I ran across it, hoping that one to the good brothers here would win it and share the love!!! :D :lol: :D :lol:

Justpipes":hyoa7pg4 said:
I really got zealous about posting it in several threads when I ran across it, hoping that one to the good brothers here would win it and share the love!!! :D :lol: :D :lol:
It brought to my attention this particular tobacco is a good one to look out for and try if the opportunity arises.

I think You done good. I pay attention to your opinions.

Handsome Dynamite":slby83w4 said:
Is there something about this tobacco that I don't know?
See the November 23, 2004 installment here: http://www.glpease.com/News2004.html

Just a quick side note, I picked up a tin minus one bowl for $15 at a recent NY Pipe Club meeting. A fellow member had put out a bunch of tins on the table that he wanted to sell since he did not care for them. One of the tins caught my eye - Bohemian Scandal! I thought, surely it must be a mistake, I have heard so much about this blend why would he want to part with it? It was no mistake, he did not care for Balkan blends much to my good fortune. He wanted $20 for it and I was honest with him telling him that these tins go for hundreds unopened and if he really only wanted $20 for it. He said he only wanted the $20 since it was opened so I opened it to take whiff... smelled good enough, problem was, you guessed it, it was as dry as the sahara. He wanted $20 so I offered $15 and we made the deal.

I took it home and employed the damp rag over bowl technique and after 24 hours - perfectly humidified tobacco! I tried a bowl and I have to tell you - I'm not far from Dock's assessment. It didn't bowl me over, it wasn't bad but just not what I had expected and I love many of Greg's blend and again, as Dock put it, this is in no way any knock on the blend or Greg for heaven's sakes. I do like the blend and am a huge lover of balkans but felt there was more hype and lore here. Now, perhaps my assessment was based upon a re-humidified version??? Still, considering the blend, not a bad haul for $15!!!

Lou