A 9mm question?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SmokeyTweed

Reaction score
I am relatively new to the "scene" and had recently purchased a new pipe( Black bent-stem Dublin) from Amphora without the knowledge that the pipe i purchased had a 9mm filter in it. I wondered how it would smoke and found that it was a decent smoke right off the bat.

I would like to know your opinions on filtered-to non-filtered, am i missing out on more flavour or keeping nicotine levels down?

any thoughts are appreciated. :?:

Filters are popular in Germany, and some low-end pipes here are made for them. Overall though, people don't want them, as they cut down on the flavor of the tobacco, which is pretty much the whole point of smoking it in the first place.

:face:

Yak":ink8zn1a said:
Filters are popular in Germany, and some low-end pipes here are made for them. Overall though, people don't want them, as they cut down on the flavor of the tobacco, which is pretty much the whole point of smoking it in the first place.

Well i can't be seen acting like a Kraut! :lol:
I'll have to try it without the filter as it appears to be removable, thanks for the info Yak.

All of my pipes used for outdoor smoking are filtered. The reason I use them is to cut down on excess moisture thus negating the need for caring pipe cleaners. I prefer Big Ben 9mm filters. Personally I don't notice any significant loss of flavor.

Jim

IMHO the 9MM pipes with the filters out smoke just as good as any other pipe. They are made primarlily for the European market.

Aw Shucks!I thought this was a thread about pistols and I was going to brag about my
marksmanship with my Beretta 92F.
Winslow :sunny:

I have several Vauen (Germany) pipes that have the 9mm filters. I tend to keep the filters in with blends that tend to smoke wet such as aromatics. The pipes themselves smoke fine with or without the filters. All of mine came with a sleeve that you can put into the pipes when not using a filter. The only type of filter that I personally don't like are the balsa wood filters that came with my Savinelli pipes. The reason being is that they tend to get gunky and I hate removing them when done. I haven't ran into that problem with the Vauen paper or charcoal filter tubes.

I've got one pipe with a 9mm filter, I use meerschaum filters , helps to dry the wet smokes, don't notice any flavor reduction,,,smokes fine with or without,,,

SmokeyTweed":pdtwm3vd said:
I would like to know your opinions on filtered-to non-filtered, am i missing out on more flavour or keeping nicotine levels down?
Aro smokers in Germany use filters to avoid getting drenched in aro juice. The general consensus in Germany is that filter pipes are for people who dont know how to properly (slowly) smoke a pipe.

Winslow":z4k6rae0 said:
Aw Shucks!I thought this was a thread about pistols and I was going to brag about my
marksmanship with my Beretta 92F.
Winslow :sunny:
Yea, Me too.
oh well,
The only filter pipes I have is an old Dr Grabow, and a cheap cob both of which I smoke on occasion with filter in place. I don't notice any difference in flavor; I do notice less gurgle but I thought it was because they are straight pipes where most of the rest of mine are bent to some degree.
In my non filtered pipes I've tried some little ceramic "rocks" that my local tobaconist sells; they are supposed to soak up moisture but I find they don't work well, I still get gurgle. I just puff too hard & fast.

:pipe: on Brothers

The bottom line of the question, IMHO, is that people are forever striving to fix what ain't broke, and pipe filters are a good example of this. Every old-time pipemaker I can recall (with the exception of Charatan ?) made at least some of their pipes with variously shaped aluminum "stingers" that were supposed to improve the way they smoked. People generally just pulled these out and threw them away.

The world is a big place, full of people who like just about anything you can imagine.

Even Walnut (!) :shock:

De gustibus non disputandem. :D

Yak said:
The bottom line of the question, IMHO, is that people are forever striving to fix what ain't broke, and pipe filters are a good example of this. Every old-time pipemaker I can recall (with the exception of Charatan ?) made at least some of their pipes with variously shaped aluminum "stingers" that were supposed to improve the way they smoked. People generally just pulled these out and threw them away.
I have a few estate pipes that came with those 'stingers'. I agree the best thing to do with them is yank them out, and the pipe smoke much better. I took mine and put them in match-boxes so I'd still have 'original' pipes in case of trades, gifting, so forth. Now I am the proud owner of several stingers that I have no idea what they fit. :lol:

Bd

Never Forget!

My reply above is supposrd to start with 'I Have' Prior to that line I was trying to quote Yak.

Bruce

Being a low-brow barbarian, thumbs up on 9mm filters for me (but then, I like Kirsten's too, so that lets you know my level of "sophistication"!) I also smoke "straight" pipes, so I guess I'm a switch hitter? :affraid:

I like the 9mm filters for those times and tobaccos when I might be puffing a bit heavy and fast, or the leaf is a bit moist. Ain't democracy great?

Natch

Whatever works for you, Natch.

Nobody said you were a barbarian.

Young bull : "Let's run over to the next field and hump one of those cows !"

Old bull : "No. Let's mosey on over there and hump them all !"

Difference in perspective.

One at a time. With maximum enjoyment :D

For a while I bought a lot of 9 mm filter pipes, mostly Design Berlin but also some Amphora and other brands I can't recall. A few thoughts, gathered from that experience:

Pipe filters are ok, but please don't use the filters more than once. I remember using a lot the Savineli balsa filters because that was the most easily available to me, but any other brand would do. The balsa is messier to deal with compared to those that came inside little cardboard tubes (sorry, I can't recall the brands, there were several, some made of charcoal some of meerschaum). Other than that, they all worked great.

Now-a-days I use filterless pipes because I prefer to be able to pass a cleaner. But that requires more care and better technique. If I were a newb I would still prefer the 9 mm pipes.

Pipes that have the 9 mm chamber accumulate a lot of tar and crude there if smoked without a filter. I found that a bit disgusting. There are adaptors that can be purchased to fill the void and convert the pipe to a filterless configuration, but accumulation of gunk still takes place around the little tubes, making them a mess to clean. Eventually I had new stems made without the filter chamber and that worked much, much better.

Wet Dottle":ow7neiex said:
... Eventually I had new stems made without the filter chamber and that worked much, much better.
That's what I'm thinking of doing... those "plugs" in my experience seem to get dirty quickly and making cleaning all the more difficult.

I generally smoke mine without a filter. They can a be a bit of a pain to clean, but a few q-tips and a litle effort will get the filter chamber reasonably clean.