A Big but Necessary Decision

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RSteve

Reaction score
I've been retired for over 21 years. During my retirement years, I've given countless hours of labor and financial support to many organizations. The labor and financial contributions have resulted in intense frustration when the organizations' leadership begin to exhibit entitlement and lack of appreciation. I have never expected anything other than a quiet thank-you and a hand shake. In the last couple of days the camel's back was broken. I'm basically done with anything that will obligate me to provide labor or finances. My time and resources will be directed only toward my family, personal friends, and me.

It was a very difficult decision for me to make, but this morning, I said "Enough." I will donate to charities, but there will be no on-going donation to any single charity. It'll be one and out. I have no doubt, none at all, that every charity to which I donate fund$ will come back at me asking for more, even though I will specifically note that any further solicitation from them will result in never getting another donation.

I should add that this decision is giving me a real sense of freedom. It'll be nice to go to the gym and leisurely work out without feeling as though I should be doing something that benefits others with that time.

Last edited:
I should add that this decision is giving me a real sense of freedom. It'll be nice to go to the gym and leisurely work out without feeling as though I should be doing something that benefits others with that time.
Last night I went to bed about 11:00 and climbed out of bed this morning after 10:00. I had the most restful sleep that I've had in many years. I had no idea that my volunteer endeavors were negatively impacting my ability to get necessary rest.