A Blast From My Past

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RSteve

Reaction score
One of the problems in creating blends in older age is that occasionally I put together a "new blend" that's the same blend I may have put together some years ago. I did some reorganization yesterday and came across two large containers with a blend that I assembled some years ago, then tucked away for aging. I opened each one and it was pretty clear that other than the first sampling I took after it was first blended, it's gone untouched. This must have been blended before Sutliff released 515 RC-1 matured red Virginia, after McClelland 5100 Red Cake was no longer available.
This is the old blend:
Sutliff 507-S Black Virginia.. 6 oz. 8%
Sutliff TS-1R Red Virginia 10 oz. 14%
P.S. 310 Black Latakia........ 30 oz. 42%
P.S. 313 Orientals............... 4 oz. 5%
P.S. 311 Perique................. 4 oz. 5%
P.S. 84 Turkish....................4 oz. 5%
P.S. 312 Toasted Burley...... 4 oz. 5%
P.S. 314 Dark Fired ............4 oz. 5%
P.S. 201 Black Cavendish... 8 oz. 11%
TL.....................................74 oz. 100%
For some inexplicable reason reason, I didn't put a date on either container. I smoked a bowl in a cob last night and thought, "Wow, this is really terrific." I accompanied the smoke with a substantial taste of Tomatin Dualchas scotch whiskey, described as having "a light and delicate flavor with a candy sweetness which is peppered with hints of pine. Lemon sherbet, pineapple and crunchy green apples with a touch of freshly baked sponge cake."(Huh) It was, at one time, the San Francisco World Spirits Competition Gold medal winner in its class. This scotch is neither smokey nor peaty and is on the sweet side. That being said, I thought it may have influenced my impression of the blend. Nope. I smoked a bowl at about 11:00 this morning and it's exactly as I thought last night.

I'm thinking that I must have put this blend together in a significantly smaller quantity earlier, was very happy with it, then ordered the quantity that made up 4.5+lbs. It must have been several years ago, when I was using significantly more burley in blends than I use now, trying to diminish the amount of nicotine in what I smoke.

Last edited:
Tweaking the blend:

Tobaccos OrderedItem #

Peter Stokkebye 310 Black Latakia 16 Ounce Bag
PFX-TP-1000 PFX-TP-1000

Peter Stokkebye 313 Oriental 4 OZ
PFV-TB-1000 PFV-TB-1000

Peter Stokkebye 314 Dark Fired 2 OZ
PFW-TB-1000 PFW-TB-1000

Sutliff Stoved Black Virginia 507-S 4 OZ
AE2-TB-1000 AE2-TB-1000

Sutliff Matured Red Virginia 515 RC-1 4 OZ