A BoB Cob

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kyle Weiss":8w4ulc3a said:
tiltjlp":8w4ulc3a said:
MM now uses a quick-drying method so there wouldn't be a two year wait, but only a few months.
Exciting!!! :D That'll open up a few more avenues for designs!
Yes. That's great.

I'm down with the whole cob idea, especially a straight bulldog.

Someone mentioned that MM would "print" the BoB logo, or "laser" it. They then went on to say that a laser imprint would eventually rub off.

I don't understand. How could a laser imprint rub off under normal use? It's BURNED into the surface. Is it a question of how deeply burned in it is? Throughout this discussion I was envisioning that a BoB logo, ideally, would be heat branded into the shank. Indelible.

Someone also mentioned the short life span of cobs. Phooey... I still smoke cobs I've had for over 10 years and they show no signs of giving out.

My initial expectation for a BoB P.O.T.Y was and still is that it be briar. I just think the cob would be a nice prelim exercise.

I didn't say that laser imprinting rubbed off, I said that it faded as the pipe darkened, where I should have said it would become less noticeable. In my experience the regular ink printing, which is darker than laser imprinting, stays more noticeable with the darkening of the cob.

What John is trying to say is you won't be able to read the laser imprinting eventually. Kind of like when you're in traffic and listening to the ball game, and some jerk with 20 subwoofers blasting pulls up next to you, your volume hasn't actually gone down, but someone's has suddenly gone up. More "overwhelming" than fading.

A similar case, certain Nording signature pipes have markings on the bowl of the pipe, and as they darken, they seem to disappear. Though I have no idea what Nording uses to sign the pipes, if they are stamped, or etched. Knowing Erik, he probably drinks some whiskey and grabs a sharpie on long, winter nights to pass the time. :lol:

Walker Briar works, Scott at Aristocob and Missouri Meerschaum all recieved an email... keeping you all in the loop as promised.

Kyle Weiss":y4p4ow0o said:
I'm on the side of the the project no matter if it's a plastic bubble pipe with a sticker logo, some cobs, or a run of Tinsky briars with our stamp, and that will be up to the organizer--even if it isn't "my perfect pipe." If I want a custom pipe I can have one made just for me from 20 different carvers. This is just supposed to be Brothers thing, and I hope it's fun.

All in good time, and I'll do whatever I can, so if a committee is being formed or thinking about forming, message me if I might be able to fit in.
This. I'm down like a clown, and as Kyle said, if there's anything I might be able to do, PM me. Thanks for getting things rolling, Jefe, and everything else!

I'm in! I don't own a cob.

Bob Cob wants to be called Maestro.

Abe

I think Jefe's on vacation or something, hopefully we'll hear from him soon to see if/how things are progressing. 8)

Well, since this thread has its own sticky now, I guess I should chime in. I also endorse the BoB-dog. My old Irv-dog needs some similar company.