A bomber beater

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stick

Reaction score
I’ll spare you the detail of the why but recently I have taken a trip down memory lane and purchased a new ‘beater’ watch, a Casio G-Shock, or to be more precise, the GW-M5610 – 1ER.

My first experience of Casio was back in the early 80s when father bought me one of the first models to hit our streets in the UK for Christmas.  I loved that watch.  It signified the dawn of a new digital age, looked cool, made Star Wars all the more believable, and every discerning school boy wanted one.  Move over dated Sekonda mechanical, there’s a new kid in town.

A new watch is a big deal for me and it doesn't happen too often.  It brings back all the excitement and intrigue of that Christmas.

I’ve had a few other Casios along the way.  One was a very sports orientated watch that had a timer for pretty much every sport you could think of.  It was given to me a graduation present when completed my training as a RAF PTI.  The next had a surprisingly accurate altimeter that I used for many years during my work in the mountains, the altimeter proving to be a very useful tool.  I still have that watch in my collection and it works perfectly.

This new watch however, is in my view a masterpiece.  Functionally it’s not too dissimilar to that of the first Casio I had all those years ago; time, date, alarms, hourly chime, world time and a back light.  But here comes the clever bits; it also has Multi Band 6 so it picks up one of 6 world-wide atomic clock signals meaning you never have to set or adjust it making it as accurate as a timepiece could possibly be, and it has a solar cell that charges the battery removing the need to change the battery every few years.  Additionally, being a G-Shock, it’s water resistant to 200m and can take some serious impacts.  The 200m water resistency might sound like over kill but I see it as comforting reassurance.  Essentially it’s bomb proof.  It also has a power save mode where it goes dormant between 2200 and 0600 if it doesn’t sense any movement, and you can programme the back light to come on automatically when you roll your wrist to view the time - it doing so only if it’s dark thus saving the battery.

So, a very welcome addition to my modest watch collection and one that means I can undertake all my favourite activities in the great outdoors knowing that I don’t have to worry about my watch… it’ll just be there doing its thing, being all smug and robust.

Good for you sir, a bloody nice watch to say the least. :pirat: