A change in shaving practice

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
+1 on Feather blades. Very good. I also like the Isreali made Personna reds as well.

I am with PB on the Trumper's Limes. Awesome cream. Taylor coconut, Taylor avocado and Proraso Green are my other favorite creams.

I have been using a safety razor for many years and have been very happy.
Has anyone had the courage to step up their game and move to a straight razor?
I can get a nice shave in 5-10 minutes and don't want to spend anymore time getting a transfusion.

Bub":qhq83y1h said:
I can get a nice shave in 5-10 minutes and don't want to spend anymore time getting a transfusion.
There was a reason they invented the DE razor and I've had to agree with it !! I leave the straight Razors to the Barbers !!Safer that way !! :twisted: :twisted:

Bub":rz1yqlyh said:
I tried it at the delirious insistence of a friend, and it wasn't as difficult or dangerous as I thought it would be--as long as I was sober and under no mental duress. What did me in was sharpening the dang things. I'm just no good at it and I'm not going to send them away for sharpening. Wa-a-y too much hassle. (My friend sent me razors, stones, leather strop, rouges, etc., and I managed to destroy a good razor. Finito, forever, for me.)

Bub":2ucua1tm said:
Before being injured, I moved to almost straights-only..it just allowed better control and quite a bit better shave IMO.. I even went a step further (again IMO) and purchased a Feather razor with a Japanese handle, basically a scalpel and half again as sharp as any straight I ever held. As for now, being on narcotics, lyrica, having an uncontrollable quake, and the propensity to fall I laid them aside. Lol. I've for all intent almost quit shaving being brutally honest but I've polluted this thread with tear jerking nonsense enough as it is.

Richard Burley":aqgm3r1d said:
Bub":aqgm3r1d said:
I tried it at the delirious insistence of a friend, and it wasn't as difficult or dangerous as I thought it would be--as long as I was sober and under no mental duress. What did me in was sharpening the dang things. I'm just no good at it and I'm not going to send them away for sharpening. Wa-a-y too much hassle. (My friend sent me razors, stones, leather strop, rouges, etc., and I managed to destroy a good razor. Finito, forever, for me.)
I post way to much in these type threads.   Richard, a brother on site has my Feather AC.   If he doesn't purchase it I will let you borrow it when he returns it.  I'd rather he buy it and get it out of my inventory, lol, but I'll write you down as next.. If you like it I'll offer you the same deal plus 20% because you are kinda douche baggish, but even then it'll be a great price. :D :D :D     To me it's superior to a straight, in its own way, with less fuss.  After 420 shave just change the blade.

PS: Don't think you'll get a discount just because you broke an I breakable razor.

puros_bran":w9ozskkv said:
...Richard, a brother on site has my Feather AC.   If he doesn't purchase it I will let you borrow it when he returns it.  I'd rather he buy it and get it out of my inventory, lol, but I'll write you down as next.. If you like it I'll offer you the same deal plus 20% because you are kinda douche baggish, but even then it'll be a great price. :D :D :D     To me it's superior to a straight, in its own way, with less fuss.  After 420 shave just change the blade.

PS: Don't think you'll get a discount just because you broke an I breakable razor.
Hey, OK, PB--let me know if he doesn't want it. Sounds positively novel, and a great deal. Meanwhile, I'll try to find out what a Feather AC is.

Been using a 1962 Gillette Fatboy adjustable since forever. I buy my blades from "West Coast Shaving" or "E Barbershop." WCS carries most all varieties including Feather/s. Both carry a huge selection of creams, tonics, razors, blades, strops, balms, after shaves, etc. I buy some of my shaving soaps from "Mama Bears." Great selection of scented glycerin soaps including my favorite, "Old Barbershop." I also use Old Spice brushless and can, Barbasol, Peraso Sandalwood, several from Crabtree & Evelyn, plus a few from "Classic brand" including handmade Woolfat soap (awesome on one's face!!).

I tend to buy blades in "variety" packs. The only blade I truly do not like is the Merkur! Just can't get a decent shave from these blades.

Welcome to the world of wet shaving. You'll never go back!!!!!!!!!!!! :cheers: FTRPLT

ftrplt":lfamg1sf said:
Been using a 1962 Gillette Fatboy adjustable since forever. I buy my blades from "West Coast Shaving" or "E Barbershop." WCS carries most all varieties including Feather/s. Both carry a huge selection of creams, tonics, razors, blades, strops, balms, after shaves, etc. I buy some of my shaving soaps from "Mama Bears." Great selection of scented glycerin soaps including my favorite, "Old Barbershop." I also use Old Spice brushless and can, Barbasol, Peraso Sandalwood, several from Crabtree & Evelyn, plus a few from "Classic brand" including handmade Woolfat soap (awesome on one's face!!).

I tend to buy blades in "variety" packs. The only blade I truly do not like is the Merkur! Just can't get a decent shave from these blades.

Welcome to the world of wet shaving. You'll never go back!!!!!!!!!!!! :cheers: FTRPLT
Thanks mate. Ref blades, as it happens the sample pack I ordered arrived today; Feathers, Derbys, Gillette 7s and some Israelis. There's enough there to keep me going for much of the year so we'll see how they go.

I've found all this amazement with "wet shaving" rather interesting!! I learned to shave from my father back in '62 when there were probably only 3 or 4 ways most men shaved, brush/soap/ straight razor for my grandfather's generation, brush /soap/shave cream / DE /injector razor for my father's generation , ( I do remember when he tried a Norelco electric razor for awhile, but he said they were worse than not shaving and went back to his DE razor ) and that's what he instructed me with and gave me my first Gillette safety razor and a boar bristle brush and a coffee mug for the soap !! I've been shaving this way ever since except for a short period where I tried some of the more newer cartridge razors and aerosol creams but they just didn't do it for me so my period of use for these items was usually about a week at most !!  I taught all 4 of my stepsons to shave with a brush/soap/and DE razor and gave them ALL their first "set" of these tools and three of them are STILL shaving this way !! ( the fourth died in a car crash 5 years ago)  Just shows that some times , just one way is THE way !! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:  Just an opinion from one of those "old codgers" :twisted: :twisted:

Stick":uh4ip7oj said:
ftrplt":uh4ip7oj said:

Thanks mate. Ref blades, as it happens the sample pack I ordered arrived today; Feathers, Derbys, Gillette 7s and some Israelis. There's enough there to keep me going for much of the year so we'll see how they go.  
Sticker, be careful when first using the Feathers. They be very, very sharp :twisted: I use Derby's a lot, darn good blade for the buck...err, pound!!! Enjoy!!! :cheers: FTRPLT

monbla256":vxmb0hlk said:
I've found all this amazement with "wet shaving" rather interesting!! I learned to shave from my father back in '62 when there were probably only 3 or 4 ways most men shaved, brush/soap/ straight razor for my grandfather's generation, brush /soap/shave cream / DE /injector razor for my father's generation , ( I do remember when he tried a Norelco electric razor for awhile, but he said they were worse than not shaving and went back to his DE razor ) and that's what he instructed me with and gave me my first Gillette safety razor and a boar bristle brush and a coffee mug for the soap !! I've been shaving this way ever since except for a short period where I tried some of the more newer cartridge razors and aerosol creams but they just didn't do it for me so my period of use for these items was usually about a week at most !!  I taught all 4 of my stepsons to shave with a brush/soap/and DE razor and gave them ALL their first "set" of these tools and three of them are STILL shaving this way !! ( the fourth died in a car crash 5 years ago)  Just shows that some times , just one way is THE way !! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:  Just an opinion from one of those "old codgers" :twisted: :twisted:
Totally agree with you!! I've brought several youngsters to the "dark side" away from electric razors & high-dollar multi-blade junk. My dear son-in-law finally saw the "light" and joined us wet-shavers ;)

"Old Codgers Rule!!! :p :p :cheers: FTRPLT