A change in shaving practice

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stick

Reaction score
I reckon I'm a bit of a traditionalist. I wear a timepiece that has a mechanical movement, I enjoy writing with a good quality fountain pen, I enjoy polishing my shoes and enjoy wearing a jacket and shirt when the occasion demands. And of course, I enjoy the briar! But I've never really been happy with my shaving routine, that is until today.

Unhappy with the eye watering prices of Gillette cartridge razors I've long been hankering for a safety razor, the type that takes a standard double edge blade. After much research I settled on a German make and ordered the Muhle R89 closed comb. It really is a masterpiece of German engineering, superbly constructed and finished with a flawless chrome plating. It arrived a few days ago complete with a complimentary blade, so I had my first proper wet shave this morning.

Using the Plisson brush and soap puck that my wife bought me for Christmas I quickly lathered up and shaved 2 passes; one with the grain and one against. I finished off with a good splash of cold water followed by moisturiser and I was good to go - baby bum smooth, no nicks or weepers and arguably the best shave of my life.

It's early days yet, but I doubt I'll look back...

You've started down the slippery slope now mate! Next thing you know you'll be eyeing a straight razor and wondering what you're missing. Enjoy the journey sounds like you picked up a really good one.

Jim

Hey Jim.

Yes I've already discovered the similarities with TAD and PAD! As this is largely a money saving exercise I.... must.....fight. ....the....urge.

Oh heck. Who am I trying to kid?!?!

Ever notice everything that interest you cost to much money?

Just once I'd like to take a liking to something and realize.. "Holy Crap!! This is cheap!!!"

Bingo. DG has it right there. The initial outlay is higher for quality shaving gear but you save money in the long run. As long as you find something you like and don't go looking for something "better" every few weeks you'll recoup the money soon enough.

Jim

You're right chaps. I did some quick sums before I ventured down this road. Turns out cartridges are 4 x more expensive, and that was probably a conservative figure...

Stick":sgo4ddho said:
Hey Jim.

Yes I've already discovered the similarities with TAD and PAD! As this is largely a money saving exercise I.... must.....fight. ....the....urge.

I sent you a reply PM last night and hope you take what I said with understanding. Remember, this is SHAVING not some sort of collecting activity ( unless that's what you want it to be :twisted: ) and once one has found what works, STICK WITH IT and get on with other things !! THEN, AND ONLY THEN will this become any sort of economically viable activity!! :twisted: :twisted: Remember, a GOOD razor can be used for well over 50 years which will really bring the costs down over time !! As far as blades go I do look for them to begin to rise in price if the demand for DE shaving were to continue to rise as it's only good buidness to raise prices as demand rises. Shareholders need larger returns ya know !! :twisted: I remember when the injector style SE razors & blades came out, they were priced lower than DE stuff at first then steadily rose. Same with the multi blade cartridge stuff ! Remember, try some different soaps, but give them some time to see how they work on YOUR face, 1 or 2 weeks is not really enough time and I would give a soap at least 3 months time to see how it , your razor and your face mesh before I tried another. And once you find the combo, STICK WITH IT and you will have become a practitioner of the KISS principal of life !! And remember you only NEED ONE brush . I've been shaving for over 50 years now and have only used 3 brushes in this time with my latest being the third. Now go out and enjoy the BEST way ( other than a barber given shave ) to shave and get on with life !! :twisted: :twisted: JMHO

Years ago, I took one look at the German double-edge razors sold in the Hoffritz stores in New York at the time and never used another Gillette product in my life. Their products look like something designed by teenagers on drugs. Why anyone would buy their razors and blades can only be attributed to ignorance. Welcome to the world of tonsorial enlightenment.

Richard Burley":d5gyfhan said:
Years ago, I took one look at the German double-edge razors sold in the Hoffritz stores in New York at the time and never used another Gillette product in my life. Their products look like something designed by teenagers on drugs. Why anyone would buy their razors and blades can only be attributed to ignorance. Welcome to the world of tonsorial enlightenment.
I've used a Gillette 109 since 1976 and it's been the FINEST razor I've ever used! I tried a Merkur and a Parker during  this time and the Parker was better than the Merkur but neither were as good as the 109. Not used many German blades as I found that Shick's DE blades worked best for me!! I still use 'em and will till I can't get any more !! :twisted:  It's ALL a matter of ones personal preferences not really any hard and fast facts !! :twisted: :twisted:

Also the soap saves mega $. You can pick up a puck of William's or Colgate for not much more than a buck and it will last for months. And do a great job.

As Monbla said, it's pennies per shave... If you avoid the acquisition disorder.  

I've pretty much settled down on Trumpers Lime Cream and skin food

I have other stuff the kids have bought or Ive aquired through some kind of misguided idea..  Find what works and quit.. Don't make this crap a hobby or you will be broke.  
Then again you can buy a Merkur and a new tin of soap every month for the same cost of mega, super,seven blade,weed whacker, schick,ultra close, sensative skin ,vibrating , razor for men.

There's a sticky paste a bro on here gifted me that I use occasionally,menthol X 10.. It will wake you up.  Para Depois de barber 4 4 4.   Spend the $6-8 on it.  You will think God is talking to you or the devil is dragging you to hell.. One or the other..but it's worth the money to find out.

Also, I have a Muhle R89 I'd loan any brother in the 48 states with the intent that if you liked it you'd buy it at a fair price for both parties.

monbla256":9ypxp8vu said:
Stick":9ypxp8vu said:
Hey Jim.

I sent you a reply PM last night and hope you take what I said with understanding. Remember, this is SHAVING not some sort of collecting activity ( unless that's what you want it to be :twisted:  ) and once one has found what works, STICK WITH IT and get on with other things !!... and get on with life !!
Yup all received Michael (and now replied to). It all struck a chord and was welcome advice.

My intent is to make what was previously a chore into something to look forward to - so far so good - and to save a few pennies along the way too - initial outlay; so far not so good! The intent is also to keep this as a utility activity and not another hobby that can spiral out of control with acquisition disorders.

Give it a few months and I'll let you know how I get on... :shock:

puros_bran":r7qnnwqk said:
You will think God is talking to you or the devil is dragging you to hell.. One or the other..but it's worth the money to find out.
Jeepers, and that stuff's a balm PB? :scratch: :affraid:

DGErwin11":04yo72gi said:
Also the soap saves mega $. You can pick up a puck of William's or Colgate  for not much more than a buck and it will last for months. And do a great job.
"Fraid those days are over !! As I've found out both at the drugstore and from what I've researched Williams has closed up shop. The last two pucks I got at Wallgreens were around $4.00 ea about a year ago. I found a site on the net that still had some in stock and bought about a dozen pucks that they had so I'm set for the rest of my life !! I'm sure there is more in stock at other folks ya just need to look around but the days of going to the local drugstore and picking up a puck are basically over !! :twisted: :twisted:

Monbla if you are interested and will send me your address I will send you a stick of Arko to try.

It has a very distinct smell, like a pez candy.. That's as close as I can guess..but it works very,very,well and it's dirt cheap.. The stick will cost more to mail than it did to buy. I used it as a 'throw it in the truck bag and don't worry if someone snags it' soap.. Honestly it performs as well as the highest high grades (I know I've used them) but some are put off by the smell. There are YouTube reviews to puruse.
FWIW: I do not use it like a stick, I smushed it into a soap container.

Wait, I didn't read all the way through your post.. Disregard, I thought you were in need of a good soap that didn't cost both kidneys.. I'll still send it if you'd like, but the urgency level has lowered.

Stick":4mj3iswq said:
puros_bran":4mj3iswq said:
You will think God is talking to you or the devil is dragging you to hell.. One or the other..but it's worth the money to find out.
Jeepers, and that stuff's a balm PB?  :scratch:   :affraid:
It works.. You will not get razor burn. Mostly because it burns your head off but still, that's a chemical burn not a razor burn. Lol.
Honestly you'd be surprised how invigorating it is. If it were a liquid I'd use it exclusively.