A Classic USPS Move

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

The package left from Vermont, bound for Ontario, Canada.

It ended up in NH - ok, not too bad; it's going up after that, right? Ontario is up...

Nope. Next stop: welcome to Portland, OR, a few days later. :shock:

This is almost funny; but it's not. What is it doing in OR, almost 3000 miles away from its destination?

Okay, okay. Someone will realize this and send it in the right direction, which is north - east. Right?

NO!!! Why go north - east when you can go........south! All the way to Los Angeles, amigos!!! A thousand miles south of Portland. :roll:

What is wrong with USPS? They are geographically challenged? :fpalm:

Seriously, USPS folks...What is my parcel doing in LA???

It's getting to the point where I am weary to order anything, anymore, in the US, as it is only shipped via USPS.

Next time, I think I'll drive to Vermont, spend the week-end over there with the wife, and bring the tobacco back home. No shipping costs, Customs fees exempted; and we will have had a good time together.

Guyrox":z0xafkn4 said:
The package left from Vermont, bound for Ontario, Canada.

It ended up in NH - ok, not too bad; it's going up after that, right? Ontario is up...

Nope. Next stop: welcome to Portland, OR, a few days later. :shock:

This is almost funny, expect that it's not. What is it doing in OR, almost 3000 miles away from its destination?

Okay, okay. Someone will realize this and send it in the right direction, which is north - east. Right?

NO!!! Why go north - east when you can go........south! All the way to Los Angeles, amigos!!! :roll:

What is wrong with USPS? They are geographically challenged? :fpalm:

Seriously, USPS folks...What is my parcel doing in LA???

It's getting to the point where I am weary to order anything, anymore, in the US, as it is only shipped via USPS.

Next time, I think I'll drive to Vermont, spend the week-end over there with the wife, and bring the tobacco back home. No shipping costs, Customs fees exempted; and we will have had a good time together.
Sounds like a good plan to me! :)

This sort of thing happens from time to time, ya just have to take it in stride.
There are a lot of slack jawed morons out there and there in disguise so it's
hard to distinguish them from normal folk so USPS hires them. Trust me the bulk of them
don't work for USPS. The lighter side of it is any other shipper would have cost twice as much
and they probably would have charged you extra for the miles they put on the package by
misrouting it.

Cartaphilus":ym8tpd2p said:
This sort of thing happens from time to time, ya just have to take it in stride.
There are a lot of slack jawed morons out there and there in disguise so it's
hard to distinguish them from normal folk so USPS hires them. Trust me the bulk of them
don't work for USPS. The lighter side of it is any other shipper would have cost twice as much
and they probably would have charged you extra for the miles they put on the package by
misrouting it.
Hey, don't talk about me like that! :joker:

I'd say that is the exception rather than the rule. (based on the couple of hundred pipes I've shipped/rec'd in the past five years).

How did you label the package?

It happens every now and then... Packages get in the "must ship it to the sorting/clearing/processing facility" vortex and it takes a minute. I just shipped a small flat rate that took a little over two weeks to get two states over.

puros_bran":0bwp6evl said:
 It happens every now and then... Packages get in the "must ship it to the sorting/clearing/processing facility" vortex and it takes a minute.    I just shipped a small flat rate that took a little over two weeks to get two states over.
'Yep, all bets are off on flat rate. I only ship pipes via Priority First Class with tracking, about $7 coast to coast.

That's what I meant. FLat rate priority, with tracking. Even though the tracking receipt somehow disappeared.. thank god for an honest bro.

Reminds me of back in the early '70s when I was collecting Fountain Pens and sent my first pen to a collector in Germany. I chose the least expensive rate to send it through the USPS and it took 3 months to get to Germany ! Back then overseas bulk mail was bid on by shippers and was put in containers on ships. The collector traced it's path when he got it from the postal stampings of every country it went to! It left Dallas by truck to St. Louis, then went by truck to LA and from there by truck to Portland then by ship to Australia and from Australia to Liverpool, then from there to France and finally from there to the collector in Germany. I never shipped "surface overseas" again after that !! :twisted: But now that we are in the 21st century, it's all  gonna go VIRTUAL and we'll do everything with APPS so it will be ISTANTANEOUS ! :twisted: :twisted:

The more I order in the US, the more this kind on rambling on with USPS is the norm rather than the exception...Especially over the last year, or so.

FedEx and Ups have great tracking info, The USPS is in the Stone Age with how their tracking system works

Weedsnagger:    USPS is cheap.. If you pay for government work you are going to get government work.

Guyrox":oljaxpky said:
The more I order in the US, the more this kind on rambling on with USPS is the norm rather than the exception...Especially over the last year, or so.
I didn't tell you of the hundreds of packages the went off successful... Nobody else does either.   You hear about the exception to the rule,  

In all my years of shipping and receiving the USPS has lost One package and had a slow delivery twice.   Not a bad record, but that didn't make me feel one bit better when my package was missing.

USPS, UPS, whatever. Sooner or later one of them is going to screw up and something like this happens.

And yes it's happened to me. And then it's down to the shipper making things right.

Cheers?

RR

I've been selling on eBay for over ten years, I have yet to have a problem with Fedex and Ups. I ship a case of bottled bear 6 times a year with Ups, never had one problem yet.

I've used UPS, USPS and Fed-Ex. My preference is USPS, particularly for the cost value.

The USPS phone app, while not bug free, tracks every step of a package. I'm tracking three now. You can sign up for Text or Email notifications as well. USPS doesn't quite offer all of those bells and whistles and the Fed-Ex system was downright tedious the last time I used it.

The problem with USPS is, when they mess up, no one wants to take responsibility or help locate and item. Everyone starts finger pointing at someone else. That is frustrating, but fortunately, my record of issues is incredibly low.

weedsnager":qbn9t22u said:
FedEx and Ups have great tracking info, The USPS is in the Stone Age with how their tracking system works
Agreed, but merchants in the US that I order from use only USPS for international orders. So I don't have a choice.

The tobacco shop I order from has no control over this. But what I have noticed is that as where my order would be home within 5 to 7 business days, now it has increased to 10 - 12 days over the last year or so.

I ordered a pipe from Alpascia Pipes (Italy) a few years back. It was home the next day.....for $13 shipping fees. Impressive.

Sure, FedEx had added Customs fees and provincial taxes to it (about $50), but I didn't have to wait at all.

My Goddaughter lives in Portland, OR. I sent her a card that took forever to get to her from Michigan. The reason...it went to Oregon via Hawaii. Go figure.

I've had some slow package deliveries which ticks me off when you pay for the 2 day priority and it takes 6 days, but UPS has damaged more suff than any other and it took 8 months to settle that one out with a museum grade, less than 6 made, scarce FE Thomas 7 1/3' Mahogany Special 2 PC fly rod in MINT condition when purchased and packed by one of the best sellers of vintage tackle and turn it into a useable fly fishing pole with greatly diminished value.

The worst have been items shipped to me in ME from overseas which for some reason make their port of entry in NY, OK Boston is an international port too but NY probably sees more international flight, heads through customs to clear then next stop is OH. That's not good but wait now it's off to Chicago,IL then Denver, CO and finally back to NY! Not only once has this happened but 5 times now it took 25 days for items to get to me from the UK, Germany, Ukraine but anytime I buy either from Bolito, Neat Pipes or Al Pascia, all in IT it takes 2-3 days! I have given up trying to figure these systems out.
banjo

Not pipe related but G&R Tactical has taken USPS offline as a delivery option. Of course it's been offline for firearms and ammo but it's offline for everything. Their explanation is up to 3 week delivery backlog and some other mumbo jumbo.