A Clean Break

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slow Puffs

Reaction score
In 2005 I made up a seven day set of Brigham Presidents. There were seven and now there are six :( . This one fell, a week before Christmas, about three feet from desktop to floor.

The result was a clean break

Examining it, the shank is thinner than the other Presidents and this one is not only thin but the hole drilled for the tendon (aluminum Brigham style) comes mighty close to the bottom of the shank.

Interesting is the literally “black” spot in the fracture. Is that a possible pit?

You can click on the images, but the images are a bit fuzzy...

:roll: Paul

I have no idea if thats a pit or not but I hate it for ya, time slows, your mind screams, and wham. Its gone.. That sucks

I have done it with a clay. Knock on wood, I hope I never have it happen with a briar pipe.

Is it possible you think, to repair it?

Well, look at the bright side...........it is a good excuse to add a new pipe to your rotation.

A couple of years ago I bought a huge dark rusticated oom paulish looking Mauro Armellini on ebay that the gentleman had dropped and broken.He sent it off to pipemaker Tim West in Ohio where Tim glued it and stuck it in the vice for a while to dry.I bought it as a damaged pipe for very little money on e-bay.When I got it in the mail I could'nt find the glued spot for the life of me! It took me a jewler's loupe to finally see it! I've smoked it well over 100 times now with NO trobles...Send it to Tim!

Best,
Dock
:pipe:

D.J. Perry":26z5gazq said:
A couple of years ago I bought a huge dark rusticated oom paulish looking Mauro Armellini on ebay that the gentleman had dropped and broken.He sent it off to pipemaker Tim West in Ohio where Tim glued it and stuck it in the vice for a while to dry.I bought it as a damaged pipe for very little money on e-bay.When I got it in the mail I could'nt find the glued spot for the life of me! It took me a jewler's loupe to finally see it! I've smoked it well over 100 times now with NO trobles...Send it to Tim!

Best,
Dock
Once my grandson is back to school next week and my wife is at work, I might try it myself. Putting the two pieces together, you hardly notice.

If all else fails, there is the good ole reliable Canuk "Red Green" method...

:lol!: :lol!: Paul

puros_bran":wxlwpmgs said:
Hillbilly Enginerrin in Canadia???????
The Hillbilly Spirit lives everywhere PB, from the Ghettoes of the city, to the caves of Kentucky, to whatever's in Canadia :lol: .

We have a local fellow I see in the barber shop that just loves his one and only pipe. It's held together with electrical tape. :shock:

Hillbilly engineerin in Canada - Duct Tape Only

Hillbilly engineerin further south - Duct Tape and Bailing Wire :)

Puffs,

Gorilla glue as suggested by MikeM does work for clean breaks in stems. I repaired a long shank billiard with it last summer.

Though I haven't used bailing wire or duct tape, I did repair a bent pipe a few years ago with dental floss using a blood knot. Worked well but didn't look so hot.

Jim