A Close Call

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muddler

Reaction score
Yesterday my son went fishing off the east coast with a friend on his jet ski. They picked up a nice king mackerel & a smallish (20lb) wahoo on lures. While fighting the wahoo, my son's mate (Ray) switched off the jet ski. After bringing the fish in he found it would not start! After fiddling with wires etc. they found the battery to be dead. Realising that no other boats were in sight, they fired off several flares - but to no avail. They also realised they'd left their mobile phones in the truck. The jet ski has no radio, so they could not call for help. Thankfully, an onshore wind was blowing (it changed to offshore later in the afternoon!) & they were slowing drifting toward land.

Then a very big tiger shark (twice the length of the jet ski - about 15') appeared from nowhere & began circling & swimming under the ski. They threw the king mackerel in & the fish disappeared, only to return after 10 minutes. They then threw the wahoo in & the shark disappeared, At this stage they were in the shore break - about 300 yards off shore & the jet ski capsized. They held on, expecting another visit from the shark. Thankfully that never happened & thankfully again they came aground unscathed on beach (The area was rocky in places). Ray walked 8 miles up the beach to retrieve the truck.

A very close call indeed!

Gives me chills just thinking about it. The sharks down your way don't play around.

Wow. I probably would have peed myself. I wonder if that would serve to repel the shark or attract it more? Hmm....

Wow! As an ex-surfer myself there's nothing that will scare me more than a fin in the water. Two very lucky guys there!

Thank goodness the boys are ok Mudd, Tigers don't mess around and it seems this one was particularly interested in what was on the Jetski, be it fish or human. Mandy, my wife, has had an ordeal at Sodwana with a great white circling her while scuba diving, frightning stuff to say the least. Just glad they are ok my man! :)

holy crap! and i worry about my daughter going to the mall. very glad all is well. give him a hug and buy them boys a big ass boat with a 50mm gun mounted on it!

Doing stupid and/or risky stuff, having it go wrong, shitting your pants, and then escaping by luck is common enough that a special word was coined to describe it:

Adventure.

:lol:

They're set for beer at the pub for a long time, I'd think.

Praise the Lord that they are safe Muddler! Sorry they had to give up their catch.

Mud,
Glad to hear that they are both o.k.!
Can you fellas in RSA have bang sticks or WASP knives? :scratch:

glad theyre okay.

spooky indeed. i cant imagine being circled by a shark!

camo

Wow Mud! Holy Mother McCree! What a story to tell their grandchildren one day! Glad they made it out unscathed. I'd call that afreak'n African ordeal!

I've never seen the ocean in person before, and to be honest I'm a bit spooked by the thought of sharks.. glad to hear they're ok!

happypipester":nhbblppp said:
I've never seen the ocean in person before, and to be honest I'm a bit spooked by the thought of sharks.. glad to hear they're ok!
HP are you a Flatlander?

I've seen plenty of sharks while diving.
Thankfully, no Tigers, although Bull sharks worry
me almost as much. Sharks don't really bother me
unless I have bloody fish hanging off of me. :shock:

Scary stuff! <shudders> :pale: I am glad all is well now though. I think next time I would have a bigger boat :pirat: