A comparison of my straight virginias

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
billmess":ilm5pza7 said:
I wanted to make an update about Solani Silver Flake. About a week ago, I had a weak moment and cracked open my SSF tin. Currently, I have about 9 opened tins and I really didnt want to open any more until I finished a few tins. For some reason it really bothers me when I have over 5 open tins. Oh well, I guess I will just have to deal with it. Anyway, back to the Silver Flake.

Silver Flake does not disappoint. Quite the opposite. SF lights and burns very well (Like every Solani product I ever tried). There is very little flavoring, which is something I prefer. The smoke isnt very complex, but tastes so good I dont mind the lack of complexity. Anyone that likes Burley and Virginias HAS to try this blend. However, I do have a couple complaints. It's pretty expensive, it is pretty scarce, and the 100g tins look pretty but lack a seal. The 50g tins seem impossible to obtain; I am not sure if the 50g tins also lack a seal.

Overall, I cant stop smoking the stuff. It may still be a bit early in the tin to tell but I think this is my favorite blend at the moment. The lack of complexity may bore me in the future, but I doubt I will ever stop going back to this blend for more. Currently, I have 400g and am looking to buy more. If anyone knows where I can buy 50g tins let me know and I will stock up.

Hope this helps someone,
Bill
The 50s are indeed hard to obtain. Steve Monjure has distributorship of Solani in the U.S, and I just don't think he imports it.

The following is not a personal attack, but a curiosity on my part. I hear folks say all the time that Silver Flake and Long Golden Flake are expensive. They both only come in 100g tins, but if we'd extrapolate to 50g, they'd be $11.25/tin. Yes, it's a few cents more per bowl, but well worth it IMHO. /soapbox :geek:

I'd just like to put in a plug for one of my favorite straight VAs, McClelland 5100 Red Cake. It's economical because you can buy it in bulk and is a fine smoke by itself or mixed with some Perique.

Smokey