A corncob pipe endorsement, they got it right.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Puff Daddy

Reaction score
I've owned several Missouri Meerschaum cobs over the years and always felt they were more novelty than useful smoking instrument. Not that the cobs themselves weren't perfectly acceptable for pipeweed combustion, but those awful little stems they put on them were so bad it threw any notion of actually wanting to use the thing right out the window. Then along came the Walker Briar Forever stems and they were a big improvement, but even these weren't the perfect solution as they were just inexpensive acrylic generic reshaped bits that fit better, looked better and smoked better, but still needed tuning internally and were pricey for putting on a cob at roughly three times the cost of the pipe itself. This is not a knock on those stems, they are perfectly fine and Dave did a nice job shaping them and time spent on them equals sales price. I own two and am happy enough with them, but it's just sort of an antithesis to the idea of the inexpensive cob, putting a $30 stem on a $10 pipe.

So along comes the Dagner Poker cob, and it was such a great idea that Missouri Meerschaum put it in their production lineup. For $23 you get a nice looking poker with acrylic saddle stem and the darned thing smokes like a dream. I am extremely happy with mine, and was thrilled to see that MM now also offers a straight egg shape with the same acrylic bit and it's even cheaper. I have one on the way as I write this.

My advice to Missouri Meerschaum is to redesign the other large pipes in their lineup with the fatter shanks and acrylic stems also because truth is, imho, a $10 cob with a crap mouthpiece is worthless but a $20 cob with these new acrylic mouthpieces is the best value in the pipe world today.

Get yourself one, you won't regret it.

The Dagner poker and The Stubby:

image16.jpg

image17.jpg

I've got the poker and I just love smoking it. It's well made and good looking. I did, however, fit a longer stem which made it even better.

Yup, the Dagner design poker pipe is in a different cob category. Hope you enjoy yours :cheers: :cheers:

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Just ordered one, along with a sackful of assorted bits. Thanks a lot, guys--I hate having money in my pocket.

+1 on the Dagners ... Well made, light, very enjoyable to smoke, nice at the price, seems to get along with any tobacco. I also have one of the smallish Sav Pokers and like the MM Dagner just as well for about one quarter of the cost. 

The thing about the standard MMs is that the absurdly low price makes for a terrific cost / benefit equation for the piper's dollar. The Dagners are more than twice as much as, say, a Country Gent or a Mark Twain, of which I have an ample supply. Could be that MM is looking at expanding their price range without scaring off traditional customers. 

The Dagner is a great choice for any piper, but does it smoke twice as well as the Country Gent? Of course not. But in this case the price is so low that it might not make a diff to most of the customer base. Plus the Dagner moves a little bit away from the aesthetic confines of, let's say, the tried and true Legend. My stem maintenance strategy has been to buy some spares with my cobs. At .50 per it's a no brainer.

Very ingenious. Nice going MM.