A couple of Old Comoy's Questions

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattia76

Reaction score
Hey fellas,
I just got this old Comoy's Case and Bowl in a lot. As you can see, it is missing a stem.

As my collection is becoming all things Olde and English, I'm thinking about getting a replacement stem made for this.

The hallmark is a lowercase "n" which is either from 1908 or 1928. I am leaning toward 1928.

Questions:
1. Does anyone have enough hallmark and Comoy's dating experience to definitively answer whether it is a 1928 or a 1908? I've seen the hallmark charts and they are pretty darn similar.

2. Does anyone have a sterling mount pipe from this era that could show me how the stems and tenons look?

3. Who would you recommend for re-creating a vintage stem that would fit the pipe and fit the case?

Thanks guys!
oams.jpg
[/img]
lkop.jpg
[/img]

There is a guy who's a member of the GKCPC that is the Comoy Master. I will try to get his email address for you. He can probably help you out.

Mike Myers at Walker Pipe Repair can most certainly provide you with a replacement vulcanite stiem and, for $10 more, a "C" on the stem (though of course not a 3-part C).

Mike though can be a bit slow. You may want to ask Floyd and Ken Norwood ro make a stem for you.

I've done business with both and I've been pleased with their work.

I don't think Floyd Norwood stamps his stems, but his work is excellent and he's quite fast. A military stem replacement is probably the easiest replacement stem to make.

I'd contact Jesse Silver (sablebrush52) on the PipesMagazine forums for dating info. He's quite knowledgeable on pre-WWI pipes and has quite a few silver mount pipes in his collection.

The replacement will not need the C as the pipes from this era did not have them yet. I would like to get one made as close to origina
As possible though.

mattia76":7iihcpvf said:
The replacement will not need the C as the pipes  from this era did not have them yet. I would like  to get one made as close to origina
As possible though.
Pipephil says the inlaid C logo started around 1919, so you may need one to be truly authentic. I'd pass, given the cost to have someone recreate this! Floyd duplicated the military stem on my James Upshall perfectly (I had him make a silver tipped Cumberland stem to replace the black stem).

http://www.pipephil.eu/logos/en/logo-comoy.html

according to his page Mike Myers does a 3pc C for $15. It'd be dumb not to do it right.

sisyphus":erjh0edp said:
according to his page Mike Myers does a 3pc C for $15. It'd be dumb not to do it right.
Seems improbable, but if so, I would as well (I'd have to see a picture of such a stem to believe it).

After just doing a little research I doubt that your stem had the "C" mark. Look at the photo carefully of the "Prima" in the link below. It has the same markings and silver hallmarks as yours except it's marked  London, not Prima and has NO "C" on the stem and is estimated to be made in 1900 - 1919. http://www.pipephil.eu/logos/en/logo-comoy.html
That and the small diameter of a military bit would hardly have room for one. I don't claim to know anything about Comoy's, just using my eyes, I may be wrong.

No you're right. The C on an army mount stem is no problem and you can find dozens of pictures of Comoy's army mounts with the C, but pipephil says that style of nomenclature ended around the time the 3pc C began. Probably safer to just do black for the sake of authenticity given that this pipe is most likely a 1908 vintage according to the nomenclature and hallmark.