A Date With King Charles

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sasquatch

Reaction score
One of the things that I like to do is order tobaccos that no one seems to like over much, and see if they are actually crappy or if I can coax them to life. Not just any tobacco though - there truly are too many absolutely mundane or low quality blends that I'm not going to necromance - probably no one could.

But there are also dozens or even hundreds of tobaccos out there that no one talks about, or when they do, it's as a write-off "not much here" type thing.

In this spirit, I opened a tin of King Charles "high class smoking mixture" from Germain. It's their typical ran-out-of-things-from-the-20th-century wrap job - square pop-top tin and wax paper. These devices conceal a shaggy English mix - latakia and orientals ring strongly in the tin note.

I just grabbed a gob of this stuff and shoved it in the pipe.

Smoked on and off over a whole day, and I tell you - this is lovely stuff. Not a latakia bomb, not a nic-bomb either. Pleasant all day strength, and a nice mixture of flavors. Sweet enough to leave a really nice smell in your whiskers too - and for a few hours after I was left unable to concentrate on conversations around me; I was lost in a sensual world, distracted by the flavors haunting me.

I liked this a lot, it's a neat blend, and shows what blending is about with the subtle balance of all the ingredients.

No idea if Charles was a good king but it's a damn fine tobacco imho.

I just recently cracked my first tin of this as well, Todd. I'm still getting to know it, but I agree, subtlety is a strength with this one. I may have to partake of another bowl tonight.

Nice write up sir. It's a blend I've considered trying, but have just never pulled the trigger on a tin. May have to add a tin to my next purchase.

Yak":p6afhhop said:
The stampede begins -- Soon come the shortages . . . :lol!:

:face:
It might be interesting to do a social experiment where we see if we can create a craze for some truly abominable blend. Mean, but fun! Then again, one man's meat is another man's merde, so...

My local B&M has a few dusty Germain tins, so I tried their Uncle Tom Mixture on a whim (Tom was the decidedly avuncular employee helping me out). It wasn't really my thing, and I've been giving it away to see if anyone likes it much more. So far, nobody has seemed to feel it's much better than okay, which has made me slow to try the other stuff my B&M stocks (their #7, 1820, and Royal Jersey). If they had old Chuck I'd probably give it a go, based on Squatch's write-up, but since they don't, maybe I'll try the 1820 one of these days...

Yak":vn9uyp1z said:
The stampede begins -- Soon come the shortages . . . :lol!:

:face:
Good thing I already have a few tins, then! :cheers:

Uncle Tom's didn't move me much either. And Mixture 7 is abominable.

Sasquatch":0hk8xytt said:
UT tasted to me like a slightly better version of Carter Hall, nice but not worth the extra cost. I also enjoy Germain's Royal Jersey Perique, but then I like the light VA/light Perique combos

Their Brown Flake is pretty good too, and goes unheralded in discussions of such things.

I have 2 or 3, maybe 8 tins squirreled away somewhere. Guess I need to open one someday. Hey, is that Prince Charles guy ever gonna be :king: :?:

I have their plumcake mixture and it took me a few bowls to realize just how tastey it is, and Penzance is awesome, which brings me to a question are the Germains mixtures and Esoterica blends blended by the same Blender? Also I have had Hastings by Esoterica and I thought it was rather uneventful

Sasquatch":sfmdtui5 said:
I haven't had King Charles or Uncle Tom's, but I have been unlucky enough to have had #7. Possibly the most off-putting blend I've tried, to date. So much so that I actually though there was something wrong with the batch. Glad to hear it wasn't just me.