A day in the mountains

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stick

Reaction score
I took a friend on a big adventure at the weekend.  He's keen to learn the noble art of mountaineering so I hatched a cunning plan and took him to a favourite route of mine that is very Alpine in its nature.  Me in the blue lid...

I once climbed Mt. Hood here in Oregon (11,244 ft) and the southernmost of the Three Sisters (10,363 ft).  Yeah, years ago...but well remembered.

Mt. Hood

Two of the Three Sisters (Faith, Hope & Charity)

loneredtree":u8sdwr3n said:
Nice route. Good view and exposure. What class?
British V Diff so nothing too epic. A fine airy route with lots of exposure, good gear, and stunning scenery. Perfect!

Blackhorse":8efeyviz said:
I once climbed Mt. Hood here in Oregon (11,244 ft) and the southernmost of the Three Sisters (10,363 ft).  Yeah, years ago...but well remembered.

Mt. Hood

Two of the Three Sisters (Faith, Hope & Charity)

Cracking looking hills there, BH. Looks like something out of a movie trailer!

Volcanic peaks in the Cascade Range...all of ‘em are handsome.  I like Hood the best.  But then it looms over our valley and I see it daily.  If it ever goes off (like St. Helens did in 1980) and if the wind were to be toward us...we’d be screwed.  It’s only 40 miles away as the crow flies. Then there are the lahars...especially in Winter when the mountains are truly deep with snow. But looking at various maps I think the flow pattern would miss us.

Brewdude":cpkvh9sh said:
Eh up Stick, that looks grand an' all. What peak were you assaulting?

Cheers,

RR
It's a route on Cadair Idris in Snowdonia, Wales, called Cyfrwy Arete, Rande, first climbed in 1888 by Owain Glyndwr Jones. Snowdonia really was the birth place of the rock climbing we know today - see Alex Honnolds' latest exploits for how things have developed - and this route would have been one of those early lines. Great Welsh names, eh?!

Cadair Idris translates as Idris's Chair, Idris being the giant in a local legend.

Although it's way down there in terms of technical difficulty, it's probably in my top 3 of my favourite climbs, purely because of the alpine, adventurous feel, the stunning location, and the airy position that you end up in.