A DVD not to be missed!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
51RJA-fTKwL._AC_US218_.jpg

OK, so I just posted this in the entertainment forum. But it merits posting here as well since it's relevant and some may overlook the submission on the other forum-

This just rocked my world (literally)!

While it's ostensibly the story of a recording studio in LA who cut the tracks of a plenitude of R&R artists in the 70's & 80's, many of which are household names now and are considered "Classic Rock", it's much more than the sum of it's parts.

Virtually a "Who's Who" in the music biz of that era, it gives great insight into to the working musicians of that era, recording techniques of that day and age as analogue evolved into digital, plus much more.

And the centre theme revolves around the much sought after "Holy Grail" mixing console of that era - the legendary Neve board!

From the copy on amazon-

SOUND CITY, the film, was conceived by Dave Grohl after purchasing the legendary custom-built Neve 8028 recording console from Sound City Studios last year. The board, built in 1972, is considered by many to be the crown jewel of analog recording equipment, having recorded such artists as Neil Young, Fleetwood Mac, Tom Petty, Johnny Cash, Guns and Roses, Metallica, NIN, Rage Against The Machine and countless other musical legends over the past 40 years.

Grohl's personal connection to Sound City began with the 1991 recording of Nirvana's breakthrough album, Nevermind. Selling over 30 million copies worldwide, Nevermind changed the entire musical landscape and forever altered the course of Dave Grohl's life.

And if you ask "Who is Dave Grohl?" look here-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Grohl

I suspect that Vito has history here since he was intimately involved in the movers and shakers of that era. Hopefully he will chime in here.

If you're a music fan from this era, I submit that this is required viewing!

:sunny:

Cheers,

RR

RR:

I'm not sure what I can add that would be of any interest. My path has intersected with some of the folks who have recorded there, but let me be the first to say, "So what?"

I do have experience with Neve consoles, but not that Neve console. And now that it's bought and paid for and gone to Dave Grohl's own studio, it seems likely that not a whole lotta other folks are ever going to work with it for quite a while. But it's part of his history, so it naturally has great meaning for him. Good for him, I say.

I think I actually saw the movie on Netflix a while ago, but it's not there now. As I recall, the film seemed to make Sound City seem...well, legendary, and thereby sort of implied some of the mystique and reverence that legend engenders.

But my perspective is perhaps somewhat jaded, if not cynical. The music that was recorded there is impressive, but the studio itself is not the attraction for me. Any intelligently designed studio with first rate equipment is capable of producing great sounding music. Whether it actually accomplishes that depends more on the artists (composers, musicians, engineers, producers) than the studio. But I'm not telling you anything you don't already know.

Anyhow, I did enjoy the movie. The history of the studio is interesting, so it's valuable on that basis. Plenty of good music has come out of there. That sort of thing is always an attractor for me, so naturally I'm going to give it a thumbs up if the film is well-made, and it's a fine effort...especially considering that it's Dave Grohl's directorial debut.

newjok10.png

riff raff":gsu9pbhi said:
I enjoy those kind of documentarys and found it entertaining.  
I just got a copy of this, "Aka Doc Pomus"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oOG3vUkKUM
That looks great Al. Frankly I was unaware of him until just now but will be looking forward to the documentary. It seems he's written a significant amount of the tunes I grew up with.

8)

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":ce8i3ne9 said:
riff raff":ce8i3ne9 said:
That looks great Al. Frankly I was unaware of him until just now but will be looking forward to the documentary. It seems he's written a significant amount of the tunes I grew up with.

8)

Cheers,

RR
Yep, he was epic and prolific. I have his autobiography as well, waiting to read that. I love that era of music.

riff raff":op6skaix said:
Brewdude":op6skaix said:
riff raff":op6skaix said:

8)

Cheers,

RR
Yep, he was epic and prolific.  I have his autobiography as well, waiting to read that.  I love that era of music.
I'll look for that book Al. Hopefully my library has it.

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":oddgjbqj said:
riff raff":oddgjbqj said:
Brewdude":oddgjbqj said:
riff raff":oddgjbqj said:

8)

Cheers,

RR
Yep, he was epic and prolific.  I have his autobiography as well, waiting to read that.  I love that era of music.

Cheers,

RR
Al

Looks like my library has the DVD. Just reserved it and am the 1st in line. So hopefully I'll be watching it in a few days!

:D

Cheers,

RR

Hey, that's cool, an uncommon movie.
If you really like it, I can put a copy in my drop-box so you can upload it, PM me if that is helpful.

Brewdude":hxwfwku6 said:
riff raff":hxwfwku6 said:
riff raff":hxwfwku6 said:

8)

Cheers,

RR

Cheers,

RR
Al

Looks like my library has the DVD. Just reserved it and am the 1st in line. So hopefully I'll be watching it in a few days!

:D

Cheers,

RR