A fair question

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Vito":1mrmto13 said:
I love us, but sometimes we really are a bunch of wack jobs. :mrgreen: 

newjok12.png
Sometimes? Now I think you're just being entirely too generous.

Slashdot":qzamxhek said:
"Star Trek veterans such as Walter Koenig (Pavel Chekov), Tim Russ (Tuvok), Robert Picardo (the Doctor) and others are busy in pre-production of a professionally produced pilot episode for a suggested new online Star Trek series named Star Trek: Renegades, which will be faithful to the original Star Trek canon. The events of the series are placed a decade after Voyager's return from Delta Quadrant. When the pilot is complete, they'll present it to CBS in the hopes that it'll be picked up. They have also opened an Indiegogo campaign, seeking more funds from Star Trek fans to help make the production even more professional. They've already reached their primary funding goal."

Now living without Star Trek is something I cannot fathom. It usually doesn't cause me to get lax on responsibilities or promises, but even if it did...

...there's always rumors of new Trek. When they announce a pilot airing, I'll be there. Otherwise, I'm in re-run land.

8)

Kyle Weiss":7twaxl9z said:
Rule 15.   :albino:   :D
So, by implication there must be a reverse rule, Rule -15: Acting smart is often stupid.

I can corroborate that one. :mrgreen: 

newjok12.png

Grew up with Star Trek. Loved the show.

When the Next Generation came out, it took a while for it to catch. Once that was accomplished, I was a devotee. Used to have the entire series on VHS. Don't remember what happened to it, but it's long gone now. Pity, that. Think it had something to do with my second ex-wife!

:lol: 

Whatever followed after that was pretty much lost on me. Tried to get into DS9, but no cigar.

<shrug>

Cheers,

RR

Vito":555jijo2 said:
So, by implication there must be a reverse rule, Rule -15: Acting smart is often stupid.

I can corroborate that one. :mrgreen: 

newjok12.png
All hail Rule of Acquisition #-15! :cheers: :lol:

8)

Brewdude":0ugp7by7 said:
...When the Next Generation came out, it took a while for it to catch. Once that was accomplished, I was a devotee. Used to have the entire series on VHS. Don't remember what happened to it, but it's long gone now....Whatever followed after that was pretty much lost on me. Tried to get into DS9, but no cigar.

RR
RR: I have all of TOS and TNG on VHS, and some of them on DVD. But all of the Star Trek series are on Netflix, which makes access pretty convenient.

I had seen some brief snatches of a couple of DS9 episodes in the past, and it just didn't resonate with me. But now that I've been watching the entire series from the start I know why.

There are multiple evolving story lines in DS9, with complex interactions between them. Jumping into the series somewhere in the middle and watching a couple of episodes out of sequence without all the background and context is not the way to do it. You miss all the connections that give the episodes depth...which explains why I was lost just watching a couple of episodes out of sequence. I didn't get it.

In that sense, DS9 is very different from TOS and TNG, both of which had a much greater focus on self-contained episodes. There were a few continuing story lines in TNG (like the stuff that was happening with the Klingons), and to a limited extent the stuff with the Cardassians and the Bajorans, but nothing like the depth or extent to which the extended plots are developed in DS9. It's actually quite masterfully done.

newjok12.png

Vito":uew6upnd said:
Brewdude":uew6upnd said:
...When the Next Generation came out, it took a while for it to catch. Once that was accomplished, I was a devotee. Used to have the entire series on VHS. Don't remember what happened to it, but it's long gone now....Whatever followed after that was pretty much lost on me. Tried to get into DS9, but no cigar.

RR
RR: I have all of TOS and TNG on VHS, and some of them on DVD. But all of the Star Trek series are on Netflix, which makes access pretty convenient.

I had seen some brief snatches of a couple of DS9 episodes in the past, and it just didn't resonate with me. But now that I've been watching the entire series from the start I know why.

There are multiple evolving story lines in DS9, with complex interactions between them. Jumping into the series somewhere in the middle and watching a couple of episodes out of sequence without all the background and context is not the way to do it. You miss all the connections that give the episodes depth...which explains why I was lost just watching a couple of episodes out of sequence. I didn't get it.

In that sense, DS9 is very different from TOS and TNG, both of which had a much greater focus on self-contained episodes. There were a few continuing story lines in TNG (like the stuff that was happening with the Klingons), and to a limited extent the stuff with the Cardassians and the Bajorans, but nothing like the depth or extent to which the extended plots are developed in DS9. It's actually quite masterfully done.

newjok12.png
Got it, Veet. Gracias!

Cheers,

RR

Veet, couldn't have said it better about my history with DS9 until now, too. I've watched it twice now from beginning to end, and it's always a treat. DS9 is a perfect transition to Enterprise, which has a similar "flowing" format rather than an "episode-by-episode" format. If you like TNG's pace, Voyager is a better match. All are fun in their own way, some just suit the mood and mindset better. :heart:

8)

Kyle Weiss":fzzkyspl said:
...DS9 is a perfect transition to Enterprise, which has a similar "flowing" format rather than an "episode-by-episode" format...  :heart:

8)
Eggzackley my experience, Kyle. I started watching the Enterprise series for the first time last year. I had previously watched one episode out of sequence, and my reaction was "...eh...OK, I guess..." I mean, at least it held my interest, but it seemed kind of primitive compared to TNG.

That's a classic mistake — judging by comparison, rather than taking the thing on its own merits. I recognized it as such, and made a mental note that I needed to watch the series from the start, in sequence, before making a judgment on its worth. So, I watched the first couple of episodes and concluded, "It's worth coming back to this someday."

My recent excursion into DS9 pushed the Someday Button, and now I'm co-digging Enterprise. Within the first six or seven episodes, I've recognized the onset of extended story arc qualities that were difficult to even apprehend (much less appreciate) by jumping into the series out of sequence.

This is gonna be fun! :twisted: 

newjok12.png

I tell most fellas, if you start losing interest, just start staring at T'Pol's various assets. :mrgreen: The rest will come together.

:lol:

8)

Yes, those assets can be...er, quite compelling.

Actually, she's a hoot. Her warp-level sarcasm is in the Atacama class. And she's very much an enigma. I mean, the whole concept of a volitional creature who is so dispassionate...no, wait – so emotionally disconnected from her interactions with other humanoids is just plain weird. But it's a fascinating kind of weird. Yet she pulls it off so convincingly that my Momentary Suspension of Disbelief Module kicks in, and despite the fact that I KNOW this is fiction, I end up wondering, "Is it possible for a humanoid to actually be like that?"

It's intriguing. What's more, she still surprises me with it. I mean, here's this hot Vulcan fox, immersed in all these intense goings-on, and you just expect some kind of passion to emerge from all that, but no...all you get outa the hot Vulcan fox is Arctic attitude. If they put a thermocouple on her they could prolly power their impulse engines. :mrgreen: 

newjok12.png

I was always waiting for her to use her rack as some kind of particle manipulating deflector dishes, but it never went there. :lol:

T'Pol has a gripping character, great past writing, and a much more dynamic and less superficial than other "hot chicks in space." There's times you'll feel bad for her, hate her, cheer for her, and fear for her. Things have come quite a ways from the simple gals in Kirk's interplanetary indiscretions years ago. Heh.

Yet, I cannot say more: "Temporal Prime Directive."

8)

Kyle Weiss":g3vsqud9 said:
...Yet, I cannot say more:  "Temporal Prime Directive."

8)  
Ah...a man who adheres to principles. You are a mutant, Kyle. I'm glad to see that I'm in good company.

Meanwhile, back in DS9, here's this from Heart of Stone - S3, E14, in which the faux Kira inquires as to why Odo is so intent on returning to DS9 for "an appointment":

• Odo: “ The, uh…Chief and I are supposed to go kayaking together in a holo-suite…”
    Kira: “…I’m having trouble imagining the two of you (Odo and Chief O’Brien) together in a boat.”
    Odo: “Well, if it helps any, he’s the one who does all the singing.”
    Kira: “He sings?”
    Odo: “He says it’s necessary to establish a smooth paddling rhythm.”
    Kira: “This gets better and better. What kinds of songs does he sing?”
    Odo: “Ancient human sea chanties, mostly. He’s particularly fond of one called, ‘Louie, Louie’.”
Ya gotta love Odo. :mrgreen: 

newjok12.png

8)

Ah, the tortured-past "security" figure...enigmatic and calculating, and entertaining when caught off guard by reality. There's on on every vessel (or space station), or so it would seem.

Kyle Weiss":t95rqrur said:
8)  

Ah, the tortured-past "security" figure...enigmatic and calculating, and entertaining when caught off guard by reality.   There's one on every vessel (or space station), or so it would seem.
Really? Ya mean we've got one here on BoB-01? :mrgreen: 

newjok12.png

Kyle Weiss":y2sa7z9a said:
I'd say our version is/was PeeB, but... :lol:
Jeez...I am receive a shock and amaze. :shock:  I didn't think pb was ever caught off guard by anything. :mrgreen: 

newjok12.png