A few Cornell and Diehl Questions

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I enjoy C&D Engine99. It's a combo blend of theirs. I note that no other brothers mentioned it. I purchase it directly from C&D in bulk and it is very reasonably priced. It also is great with cigar leaf that I frequently add to a bowl for just a little spice.

Does anyone know if C&D changed recipes or suppliers in the past five years? Around 2005, I was in one of those box passes in a yahoo group. There were nice sized bags of Bayou Morning and Bayou Night. They were both on the dark side (color) and a bit oily. They both impressed me, and I took note. I grabbed some of both a couple months ago, and they don't look or taste anything like I remember. I don't remember either being harsh at all. I'm finding both to be so, Morning being the more harsh of the two. I can't get a good smoke out of either in any of my pipes or by varying my packing.

C&D is one of the two blenders I've tried in which my experience with many of the offering was that the smoke was somewhat...harsh is the best way I can describe it.

Not to be deterred with over 200 blends to select from, I've given a number of their blends a try. My favorite non-aromatic from them so far has been Oriental Silk. It's a VaPer with a while buncha turkish in there. By contrast to my other experiences with C&D, the smoke was smooth and sweet.

I'm sure Winchester is great. I smoke C&D Poplar Camp. It is just Winchester with Perique added. One terrific smoke.

Neither place I usually buy my tobacco carry Winchester. It was one I wanted to try, too.

Storm_Crow":9qjuy88q said:
C&D is one of the two blenders I've tried in which my experience with many of the offering was that the smoke was somewhat...harsh is the best way I can describe it.

Funny you said that. Today I cracked open a Burley Nbr 4 can and the smoke is quite harsh which took me back. I had really great experience with the Solani barley blend, but hate to say it the C&D one needs some tuning. I will try to blend it with something else to try and smooth it out if possible. Having said that I still enjoy opening night which is very very good.

I have a question for Cornell and Diehl: What is with Captain Bob's Blend? It literally reeks of grape, filling the room when you open the tin, yet it tastes like an English blend, with no trace of grape flavor. The components are described as, "..... a mixture of Virginias and Burleys with just a dash of Latakia and Perique." There's an added topping, of course: G*R*A*P*E !!!!! It is without a doubt, the strangest pipe blend I've ever encountered. Has anyone else tried it? (I searched here for "grape" without results.)

A response got lost in here somehow (I got an email) but, yes, it appears my point is moot, as the blend appears to have been ... uh .... cancelled.

I'm sort of weirdly glad I still have some in a jar. It's a kind of nifty magic trick. Screams GRAPE!!!! ; Speaks Proper English

It does moderately ghost a pipe, but with a Canterville Ghost.