A few Cornell and Diehl Questions

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

free_byrd15

Reaction score
1.) They seem to have more blends than any other pipe tobacco manufacturer, and as I read the different descriptions, lots of them seem similar. My first question is this: For those that have smoked many of their offerings, how similar are the different blends? For the pipe smoker who hasn't smoked for years and years, could multiple offerings taste essentially the same?

2.) Some offering run 7ish bucks for 2 oz where a 8oz tin runs 13. Others blends run 7ish for 2oz and then mid 20's for 8oz. Is this due to the different leafs?

I hate to 'tell on them' because I do love their products.. But yes they do have a lot of blends that are very close...

The price diff is that some are 'tinned' bulk blends, some are Tinned blends. Sounds crazy, huh...

I seldom suggest this but go to www.tobaccoreview.com and read up on these.. All very different, all good IMO

Star of the East (heavy lat)
Old Joe Krants (big burley)
Yale Mixture (delightful lat/va mix)
Rajah's Court (oriental heavy)
Mississippi Mud (Perique & Latakia, very weird)

Honorable mention
Briar Fox (a va crumble cake)
Nightrain (a Va/Bur/Per crumble cake)
Kajun Kake (a Va/Per crumble cake)

Hi Alex!

Yup, I noticed many are similar, but not exactly alike, either. And quite a few are unique, to my limited experience, too. It does make fans of one blend curious about other ones enough to buy and that's what marketing's all about, I guess. ;)

FB15....I think those prices you mentioned are from the C&D website?!? Checkout pipesandcigars.com and smoking pipes.com (among others) for their C&D prices. Don't know where you live; but should you be near one of the JR Cigars(JRCIGAR.com) in North Carolina, they carry many of the C&D blends at discounted prices. Check them online; but watch their shipping prices. C&D offers blends and bulks. They are great folks. I keep a goodly variety of their English/Balkan/Oriental blends in the cellar; Star of the East and Rajah's Court being two of my favorites. And, yes, the differing prices reflect the varying ingredient tobaccos. :pipe: FTRPLT

ftrplt":7xpbdjlb said:
FB15....I think those prices you mentioned are from the C&D website?!? Checkout pipesandcigars.com and smoking pipes.com (among others) for their C&D prices. Don't know where you live; but should you be near one of the JR Cigars(JRCIGAR.com) in North Carolina, they carry many of the C&D blends at discounted prices. Check them online; but watch their shipping prices. C&D offers blends and bulks. They are great folks. I keep a goodly variety of their English/Balkan/Oriental blends in the cellar; Star of the East and Rajah's Court being two of my favorites. And, yes, the differing prices reflect the varying ingredient tobaccos. :pipe: FTRPLT
JR's is currently charging $6.50 pre 2 oz. tin. I purchased a tin of Exhausted Rooster at JR's this past weekend.

dang, 6.50 for 2 oz! My locals 2 oz tins of SG, McClelland, Peterson, Orlik, etc run anywhere from 9 to 11. He doesn't carry any C&D stuff though. That price isn't bad at all...wish I lived near a JR's :cry:

I would like to tack on a question regarding Haunted Bookshop: Anyone familiar with this blend? If so, please post your opinions... I think I am drawn to this blend simply because of the great name, "Haunted Bookshop." I somehow feel that it would be very rewarding if someone asked, "Hey, what kind of tobacco are you smoking?" and my reply was, "Well, Haunted Bookshop, of course."

Its a burley heavy blend... sometimes a fruity nut sweetness comes out...
Better than OTC stuff because it isn't overloaded with PG, but in the same family of 'Americana Tobacco' One of those ok all day blends that isn't awesome but isn't bad either.

Trout Bum":ue48le12 said:
I would like to tack on a question regarding Haunted Bookshop: Anyone familiar with this blend? If so, please post your opinions... I think I am drawn to this blend simply because of the great name, "Haunted Bookshop." I somehow feel that it would be very rewarding if someone asked, "Hey, what kind of tobacco are you smoking?" and my reply was, "Well, Haunted Bookshop, of course."
I love Haunted Bookshop and always have a supply on hand. It's what I would call an "all-day" blend. My only complaint is that, for me, it burns quickly. But then I smoke mainly flakes/broken flakes. I'm also a perique fan. It's on my "A" list.

I suffered a couple of serious concussions in my youth, and it is believed it has affected my taste sense. My go-to tobaccos are heavy English and robust Va/Perique blends. I tend to prefer the stronger flavors just so I can taste it at all. I'm about to make another order, and so far, I have Mountain Camp and Bayou Night in my cart. I'd like to try one or two other C&D blends. I'm thinking I'd like something sweeter to break out of my habits. I thought of looking for a Dunhill 965 type blend, but something even more Cavendishy would be find. I'm not a big fan of burley, but I'm not opposed to its inclusion. I want these other two choices to either be an English or a Virginia. Flakes are welcomed. Not interested in the Aromatics. Any suggestions for other C&D blends to maybe give a try?

It is from C&D blends that my daily, go-to smokes often come.

To second an item from PB's excellent list, I would also suggest Night Train (#417P). This is probably my all time favorite offering amongst their long list of blends (hint: always buy it in the 1 lb. sealed brick).

I could smoke Night Train all day long (and often do).

Kapnismologist":rfbtxvce said:
It is from C&D blends that my daily, go-to smokes often come.

To second an item from PB's excellent list, I would also suggest Night Train (#417P). This is probably my all time favorite offering amongst their long list of blends (hint: always buy it in the 1 lb. sealed brick).

I could smoke Night Train all day long
(and often do).
I like this as well!

Cheers,

RR

Thanks for the recommendation. I was concerned about Night Train because of this thread:
https://www.brothersofbriar.com/t5091-cornell-diehl-night-train?highlight=cornell

I have a weird deal with nicotine. I smoke heavy blends, but some blends have the same affect as eating Redman Plug by the block. I really don't feel well after smoking them. I didn't know if Night Train would be like that.

Any others? Anyone? I'm going to dig around for further reviews on Night Train, but I'm still looking for suggestions.

Zeno Marx":9ox3evs1 said:
Thanks for the recommendation. I was concerned about Night Train because of this thread:
https://www.brothersofbriar.com/t5091-cornell-diehl-night-train?highlight=cornell

I have a weird deal with nicotine. I smoke heavy blends, but some blends have the same affect as eating Redman Plug by the block. I really don't feel well after smoking them. I didn't know if Night Train would be like that.

Any others? Anyone? I'm going to dig around for further reviews on Night Train, but I'm still looking for suggestions.

I highly recommend Night Train -- it's very rich, sweet and has that great fruit-like note from the perique. Definitely full flavored. A lot of people complain about the nicotine content, but personally I find it to be nearly identical to Old Joe Krantz when it comes to Vitamin N (my favorite all day smoke).

Guilford Courthouse has become something of a staple in my rotations. Nice virginia's with just enough oriental to keep my attention.

I'm looking forward to comparing it to GLP Embarcadero as from what I read of the descriptions they appear to be somewhat similar.

Blockade Runner seems to have potential but I think I'm going to have to let mine age some. Right now all I taste on it is the rum.

How is the C&D Winchester? I notice not many online stores carry it. I'm looking for a couple Virginias to throw on an order.

Just finished a bowl of the "Opening Night". What a beautiful smoke! First time with this tobacco, it will be one of my favorites. If anyone like Va's this is a really good one.

Vercer":qw6n1iuu said:
Guilford Courthouse has become something of a staple in my rotations. Nice virginia's with just enough oriental to keep my attention.

I'm looking forward to comparing it to GLP Embarcadero as from what I read of the descriptions they appear to be somewhat similar.

Blockade Runner seems to have potential but I think I'm going to have to let mine age some. Right now all I taste on it is the rum.

I like Guilford Courthouse, but if you like Virginia/Orientals,
you should try Sunday Picnic and Red Carpet.

After only a couple bowls, which I don't feel is anyway to review a tobacco, I'm finding these tobaccos to lack sophistication and being overall simple flavors. Not much to nuance or complexity here. I enjoyed Star of the East, but I don't find it anything but smoky. I like that, but it's deadpan. Same experience with Bayou Morning, which I've smoked in the past and didn't feel it lacked character. I quite liked it in the past. That has surprised me. A less sweet, less spicy, less flavorful similarity to McClelland 2015 (one of my favorite Virginias). I don't know what to say about Night Train. I'm not getting much out of it at all. I'm thankful I'm not getting that nicotine beating, though. Maybe these are from very fresh batches and haven't had the time to come together. Lots of twigs and big chunks of leaves in these things as well. I'm not necessarily disappointed, because I enjoy tasting the unknown and taking chances. That's today. The other day when I was smoking Night Train, I was thinking, "I wish I'd picked up more McClelland bulk or a new tin or two."

I'll report back as it goes.