A few fine days in the woods

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Primo pix, Uberdude, looks like a fantastic place to hike and pack. To respond to docwatson's post, " I don't think I'd like to venture out there in the winter time but the summer and fall must be beautiful." it's oddly enough quite the opposite. While we can have snow/ice storms in winter, we can also have several sunny days in the 50s & 60s. I spend most of my free time packing and hiking from late October through the end of March. But from April through September, probably 1/4 of the ground cover is poison ivy, it is everywhere. And at the same time the ticks and chiggers come out, so I stay out of the woods for that half of the year. Fortunately, I'm usually heading up to the Canadian border, or out west for some other packing trips. Porkies,

or Isle Royale,

or Picacho Peak, it's all good.

That's also a good time to do canoe trips on the Buffalo, if it's flowing well enough. Or up into southern Missouri, where they have several spring fed rivers that run high and cool all through the hot months of summer.

But you know, almost every place on Earth has it's own unique bits of woods and wild to explore. We live on a pretty cool planet.

Natch

I thoroughly enjoyed having the wonderful opportunity of reading this topic, thanks for sharing these fantastic stories and amazing photographs guys, and for the charming night shot BJ', your Bro' is obviously a good guy.

Kirk Fitzgerald":zttzevzj said:
I thoroughly enjoyed having the wonderful opportunity of reading this topic, thanks for sharing these fantastic stories and amazing photographs guys, and for the charming night shot BJ', your Bro' is obviously a good guy.
Thank you he is! :) We can easily spend a whole week hiking together and not piss eachother off. It's all just about laid back as it can be. I know I'm just about lucky as a little sister can be.

Here's another feel-good camping picture (with the said trusty hiking buddy :D ):

2r3ceg3.jpg

Few things as lovely as a morning camp fire, just a little bit for warmth while drinking some strong coffee and having a morning pipeful.

k9icdc.jpg

And that's me about to cross to a little island for that night's stay, taken from another boat. The rowing boat was a beautiful piece of craftmanship, with a strong smell of tar.

Damn looking at the pictures here and hearing the stories is getting me so psyched up about the spring coming! Gah can't wait for the first trip to the woods!

Natch":v82yzpxx said:
But you know, almost every place on Earth has it's own unique bits of woods and wild to explore. We live on a pretty cool planet.
That is so true, Natch! When I was younger I mostly dreamed of travelling to see some big cities, and I did a bit of that. Nowadays I dream of travelling to see the woods. Canada's pretty high on my list. Perhaps I will one day, when able to cross the Atlantic, do some hiking in the States with some cool pipe buddies! :D Now that's something worth dreaming about.

beetlejazz":azi6qa6m said:
Perhaps I will one day, when able to cross the Atlantic, do some hiking in the States with some cool pipe buddies! :D Now that's something worth dreaming about.
Amen, sister. :cheers:

beetlejazz":wxzojdkw said:
Thank you he is! :) We can easily spend a whole week hiking together and not piss eachother off. It's all just about laid back as it can be. I know I'm just about lucky as a little sister can be.

Here's another feel-good camping picture (with the said trusty hiking buddy :D ):

2r3ceg3.jpg

Few things as lovely as a morning camp fire, just a little bit for warmth while drinking some strong coffee and having a morning pipeful.

k9icdc.jpg

And that's me about to cross to a little island for that night's stay, taken from another boat. The rowing boat was a beautiful piece of craftmanship, with a strong smell of tar.

Damn looking at the pictures here and hearing the stories is getting me so psyched up about the spring coming! Gah can't wait for the first trip to the woods!
Looking at that campfire makes me wish I could be right there with you, wow, I haven't been camping in so long, makes the spirit sad at times knowing my camping days are over, my Wife hates the very idea of camping, such a horrible tragedy.