A Fool & His Money Are....

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The last 50g. tin of the same that I know of went for $68.50, late last year - it was dated 1992. This particular tall 4oz. should probably go for about $325 or so given the market at the moment.

Still over 5 days of bidding to go, who knows where it'll end up. Should be interesting to see it progress.

When I first looked at stamping on the tin lid, it appeared to be "1Q" . Lane lovers rejoice! :lol!:

For the sake of the buyer, I hope it's not moldy.

Jim

...good friends of ebay sellers.

Actually, the price doesn't strike me as too remarkable, but since it's only had three bids, and there are five days left, it's likely to go for much more. The second bidder put $245 on it, to be trumped by the third, currently at $250. Who knows what his limit is.

If people want something badly enough, and have the money to spend, the sky is the limit. This is the real deal, and a 4oz (not 100g), Royal Warrant tin of #10 is highly desirable. My guess? It'll fetch close to $600. I wish it was mine...

-glp

I think calling a brother of the briar a fool is a bit harsh, I have known pipe smokers who would call you a fool for spending any more than $16 bucks for a new Grabow and a pouch of Velvet. In the high dollar world of consumable collectibles like cigars and wine, vintage tobacco is not out of line. :shock:

This is another facet of our hobby that totally eludes me.

I cannot fathom any justification for this level of pricing. I don't fault those who can, but it makes me shake my head :shock:

shootist51":rztfw43m said:

I cannot fathom any justification for this level of pricing. I don't fault those who can, but it makes me shake my head :shock:
Why? What is the difference between spending, say, $100 for an ounce of rare, beautiful, finely carved briar in all its historical glory and $100 for an ounce for rare, beautiful finely blended tobacco in all of its? Is it because the carved briar is intended to last longer? Many collectors of rare tobaccos do not necessarily buy rare or vintage tins simply to smoke the contents as such, but rather research and hunt and acquire in much the same way many high grade collectors research and hunt and acquire their briars.

I think there is a prevailing attitude that one cannot legitimately set out to collect tobaccos in the same way as one is allowed to set out to collect the devices often used to combust them. Remember, their are two major parts to the history of our hobby, and tobacco is clearly one of them ...

Kapnismologist":9ufxzgeo said:
shootist51":9ufxzgeo said:

Why? What is the difference between spending, say, $100 for an ounce of rare, beautiful, finely carved briar in all its historical glory and $100 for an ounce for rare, beautiful finely blended tobacco in all of its? Is it because the carved briar is intended to last longer? Many collectors of rare tobaccos do not necessarily buy rare or vintage tins simply to smoke the contents as such, but rather research and hunt and acquire in much the same way many high grade collectors research and hunt and acquire their briars.

I think there is a prevailing attitude that one cannot legitimately set out to collect tobaccos in the same way as one is allowed to set out to collect the devices often used to combust them. Remember, their are two major parts to the history of our hobby, and tobacco is clearly one of them ...
None. That's the other facet of our hobby that eludes me :lol!:

Whatever you think/thought the sale has been "removed", which is different from ended.