A G.L. Pease for a Perique Lover

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swede

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I'm constructing a new tobacco order, and believe I should experience some of Greg Pease's blends. I do love Perique, so was drawn to the heavier Perique blends. After reading a lot of reviews, I've changed my order three times from Haddo's Delight to Sixpence to Triple Play. I'm a little hesitant to go for the spirits topped ones, and believe I am getting better bowls of my VaPers out of flakes and cakes. The plug form of Triple Play sounds interesting, and I'm guessing these pressed forms of tobacco are the ultimate way to marry the different parts of a blend. I also wonder if trying a more straight tobacco blend would be the best way to sample Greg's blending... I'd like to try something besides a VaPer alone, but haven't gotten used to Latakia that much yet. Maybe the blends with dark fired would be a good start. I also like burley. I'd appreciate any thoughts. I mostly use briars, cobs, and have one meerschaum pipe. Swede

This is a list of the Pease's blends that I've smoked. Really like all of them with Union Square as a standout for me. Gaslight and Quiet Nights are both tied for second.
Cairo
Fillmore
Gaslight
Meridian
Quiet nights
Regents Flake
Stratford
Temple Bar
Triple Play
Union Square

This is a list of the Pease's blends that I've smoked. Really like all of them with Union Square as a standout for me. Gaslight and Quiet Nights are both tied for second.
Cairo
Fillmore
Gaslight
Meridian
Quiet nights
Regents Flake
Stratford
Temple Bar
Triple Play
Union Square
I've read up on all of these except Temple Bar. How'd you like Triple Play?

If you're wanting an "Oriental" tobacco with no latweed, try GLP's Embarcadero. No Perique either, but dang good 'baccy!! JMHO, FTRPLT
P.S., Union Square is primo, number one pipe tobacco!!

Another one you may want to try is Jacknife Plug. It's a dark fired Kentucky and Virginia that has very favorable reviews. I bought a tin of it and Embarcadeo a few years back but have not had a chance to try them yet. I need to move them up in my list of need to try next. So many open blends I am trying to work down it's like a never ending nightmare, but a good one.

FTRPLT, Union Square is in my #1 spot for stocking up on list.

Finding the perique in many blends isn't easy. Especially when done by the "Dark Lord". Perique is a condiment. It can be used to enhance, or bring flavors that are unexpected. It's kind of like salt. When used properly salt can greatly enhance flavors in foods, and yet you never taste the salt. It's magic.

I went ahead and ordered a 2 oz tin of Triple Play. I like the idea of the plug type, and want to carve off flakes to fold, twist and stuff. I got to thinking of the plug as the pemican of tobacco-sounds like something a guy could stuff in a pack and just need a good sharp knife to take a serving. The dark fired in it has me intrigued also. In my area, we grow dark fired, but it is likely not the same as what is in TP. Went ahead and grabbed some VaPers like Sutliff 1849, PS luxury navy flake, and some Granger and Edgewoth match to round out the order. Also a mm pipe for my nephew. He now smokes cigars. Gonna give him some PA and other burley to try, plus some Storm Front.

Last edited: