A.G. Russell Pipe Knife

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re Chinese manufacture...a great many very fine folding knives are made in China. Their worth is really dependent on design, materials specs and quality control. I own a number of excellent Chinese folders and appreciate their value and their function. There are good ones and ones that are not so good.  Plus I’m a long term customer of AG Russell (20 years plus) and have NEVER been disappointed in a purchase. So...good pick. (pun not intended)

Re the curve on that pick thing you guys don’t like...it’s curved so that it fits the contour of the handle when folded in...right? I know you guys know that, but the comments like “what did they do that for” made me wonder.

Lastly (I promise) - even though I have made more than a hundred tampers over the years (I used to sell ‘em on the Mars and Pipeworks and Wilke sites) from all kinds of materials - I have gone to the dogs, I rarely carry anything nice any more. In fact, in the two or three outdoor places where I typically smoke I have secreted a couple of big nails so that I know there’s always a usable tool handy. I’m such a low life.  lol

Blackhorse":vkm09f87 said:
Lastly (I promise) - even though I have made more than a hundred tampers over the years (I used to sell ‘em on the Mars and Pipeworks and Wilke sites) from all kinds of materials - I have gone to the dogs, I rarely carry anything nice any more. In fact, in the two or three outdoor places where I typically smoke I have secreted a couple of big nails so that I know there’s always a usable tool handy. I’m such a low life.  lol
First, thanks for commenting on Chinese made stuff. It's good to hear testimonials on the whatnot that is made well. Second, yep. Roofing nails. Hit with the file and then buffing wheel for a moment or two. BAM! Tampers. Though, the last time I was at Ace hardware, I found that the roofing nails are only a dime or two less than the old school $1 tampers. Thirdly, I used to collect nice tampers. I'm someone who sweats small stuff, or at least I used to be. I've tried to remedy that, and where I've failed, I've eliminated all together. "You can't eat it if you don't buy it" type of thing.